GR- Energy conservation, effective potential graph sketch

In summary, the conversation discussed the graph sketching for parts c) and d) of a given equation. The solution involved using the critical point and checking for stability to determine the shape of the curve. However, for part d), the critical point was unsolvable, leading to uncertainty about the shape of the curve in that section. The conversation also mentioned a possible error in the solution regarding the value of epsilon.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

vrq.png

I would like to ask about parts c) and d) , the graph sketching bits.

2. Homework Equations

##V(r) = ( \frac{J^2}{r^2}+\epsilon)(r-\frac{1}{r}) ##

where the value of ## \epsilon ## is set according to whether time-like or null etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

Q1)for part c)

##V(r) = ( \frac{J^2}{r^2})(r-\frac{1}{r}) ##

I am able to deduce the shape of the curve from the fact that the potential ##V'(r)=0 ## is a quadratic and solveable, and so i can check whether this is a stable or unstable point. So to sketch I:
a) ## \lim r \to \infty ## and ## \lim r\to 0 ##
b) to deduce the cts shape consider the critical point and check whether it is stable or unstable.
and that gives me the following which is fine.

(giving me the following:
vr null.png
)

however for part d) instead we have ##V(r) = ( \frac{J^2}{r^2}+1)(r-\frac{1}{r}) ## and now ##\lim r \to \infty = r ## but ##\lim r \to 0 = -1/r^3 ##. from this I can draw the start and end , but am unsure how to connect in the middle- curving upward or downward. compared to the above, null example, where the critical point is solvable and i can check stability to deduce the shape, here the critical point is unsolvable so I am unsure how to do this.

I have the following so far:

vr me.png

the answer is:
vr tl.png

I AM UNSURE WHY, how to deduce the shape on the 'jointy' bit.

Many thanks in advance.

(I believe there may be an error in the solution since for a time-like geodesic instead of ##\epsilon=1 ## it should be ##\epsilon=-1## however I am interested in the principal of the graph sketching, so, assuming the graph sketch is consistent with the value of epsilon chosen for the solution, I'd like to ignore this please and focus on the graph sketching. Thanks).

Attachments

• vr null.png
    vr null.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 588
  • vr tl.png
    vr tl.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 610
  • vr me.png
    vr me.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 444
  • vrq.png
    vrq.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 837
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump
many thanks

1. What is GR - Energy conservation?

GR stands for General Relativity, which is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein. Energy conservation in GR refers to the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

2. How does energy conservation apply to GR?

In GR, energy conservation is a fundamental principle that governs the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. It is incorporated into the equations that describe how matter and energy interact with the fabric of space and time. This is important for understanding the behavior of massive objects, such as stars and galaxies, and the overall structure of the universe.

3. What is an effective potential graph sketch?

An effective potential graph sketch is a visualization of how the effective potential energy changes as a function of distance for a particular system. It is commonly used in GR to study the motion of test particles around massive objects, such as black holes.

4. How is an effective potential graph sketch useful?

An effective potential graph sketch can help us understand the behavior of particles in a gravitational field, such as how they move and interact with each other. It can also provide insights into the overall structure and dynamics of a system, such as a galaxy or a cluster of galaxies.

5. Can an effective potential graph sketch be used for any system?

Yes, an effective potential graph sketch is a general tool that can be used for any system that involves a gravitational field. It is particularly useful for studying systems with strong gravitational interactions, such as black holes, but can also be applied to simpler systems, such as planets orbiting a star.