Grad School; E in Calc I; How bad?

In summary, you are applying to graduate school and have gotten good grades in previous courses. One bad grade from four years ago won't have a big impact on your application.
Spirit
Hello,

I am applying for Grad School this year. I am putting some expectations to know how where I can shoot at them, below, or above and how to spread my tries.

I got an E in Calc I in my first semester for whatever reason. I got an A, B, B in Cacl II, III and Diffi Q respectively.

Does the E still have a horrible impact on the transcript in this case? or if the GPA overall is ok then its ok?

Physics news on Phys.org
Applying to a graduate program in what subject?

You are worried about one (very) bad grade from four years ago? If your later grades were As and Bs and if other indications are promising then I wouldn't expect anyone to worry about one really bad grade. Especially since it seems you got good grades in Calc II and so on, which strongly suggests that you learned Calc I, just not in the class where you were graded E.

what the hell is an E? is that better than an F?

ROFL! ice109 you always make me laugh. I think an E is equivalent to an F...

I never heard of any place giving an E as a grade either. I don't think it's a common grade for any school to give for some reason.

G01 said:
I never heard of any place giving an E as a grade either. I don't think it's a common grade for any school to give for some reason.

Agreed; in the U.S., most unis do not award letter grades other than A,B,C,D,F. But some do sometimes award an E, although even when it is a permissible grade I think it is rarely given. I should have started by asking the OP whether or not he is in the U.S.

Regardless: the important point here seems to be that the OP need not worry that this one bad grade will somehow upset his plans.

Chris Hillman said:
Applying to a graduate program in what subject?

You are worried about one (very) bad grade from four years ago? If your later grades were As and Bs and if other indications are promising then I wouldn't expect anyone to worry about one really bad grade. Especially since it seems you got good grades in Calc II and so on, which strongly suggests that you learned Calc I, just not in the class where you were graded E.

Actually I am applying for a master degree in Engineering. I may wonder about the 'W' and if it can be seen as a disadvantage on the transcript. [I withdrew from one semester for health reasons, and it appears in the transcript a bunch of W with a line above them indicating the medical withdrawal]

On another note; I am now an undergrad student at University of Florida 'Gainesville, Florida'. Yep, The lowest grade is an E which indicates a failing grade, as F.

harvard used to give A,B,C,D,E. I recall getting an E in Physical education.

and i got into grad school with a much worse transcript than that.

what mattered was it got better at the end.

i.e. D;s and E;s as freshman, B's and A's as junior/senior.

If your getting a Withdraw for medical reasons it shouldn't matter at all. It says right at the bottom of the transcript for medical reasons.

I had to withdraw a year for medical as well and I asked this question to my school and they told me as long as it explains its for medical no one will care.

Spirit said:
Actually I am applying for a master degree in Engineering. I may wonder about the 'W' and if it can be seen as a disadvantage on the transcript. [I withdrew from one semester for health reasons, and it appears in the transcript a bunch of W with a line above them indicating the medical withdrawal]

On another note; I am now an undergrad student at University of Florida 'Gainesville, Florida'. Yep, The lowest grade is an E which indicates a failing grade, as F.

ahaha i have a lot of friends at UF, I've got to ask em about this whole E business. I'm at fsu , how's your physics program?

for reals ice109!? Thats pretty cool considering I am here at FSU as well. What classes are you currently taking? We may have a class together...

1. What is grad school and why should I consider it?

Graduate school is an advanced level of education that leads to a master's or doctoral degree. It is typically pursued after completing a bachelor's degree and can provide specialized knowledge and skills in a specific field. Grad school can also open up career opportunities and increase earning potential.

2. How difficult is it to get an E in Calc I in grad school?

The difficulty of achieving an E (excellent) grade in Calc I, or any course, in grad school can vary depending on the individual's academic background, study habits, and level of effort. However, grad school courses generally require a higher level of understanding and application of concepts compared to undergraduate courses, so it may be more challenging.

3. How important is Calc I in grad school?

Calc I is often a prerequisite for many graduate programs, especially in fields such as math, science, and engineering. It provides a foundation for more advanced courses in these fields and may also be useful in other disciplines. However, the importance of Calc I may vary depending on the specific program and career goals.

4. What can I do to succeed in Calc I in grad school?

To succeed in Calc I in grad school, it is important to attend all classes, actively participate, and ask questions. It also helps to review and practice regularly, seek help from professors or tutors when needed, and form study groups with classmates. Additionally, maintaining a positive attitude and managing time effectively can contribute to success.

5. How does Calc I in grad school compare to undergraduate Calc I?

Graduate level Calc I courses may cover similar topics as undergraduate courses but with a deeper understanding and more advanced applications. The pace and workload may also be more intense, and there may be a greater emphasis on independent learning and research. Additionally, the grading scale may differ, with an E representing a higher level of achievement compared to an A in undergraduate courses.