1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad School; E in Calc I; How bad?

1. Sep 29, 2007 #1

I am applying for Grad School this year. I am putting some expectations to know how where I can shoot at them, below, or above and how to spread my tries.

I got an E in Calc I in my first semester for whatever reason. I got an A, B, B in Cacl II, III and Diffi Q respectively.

Does the E still have a horrible impact on the transcript in this case? or if the GPA overall is ok then its ok?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2007 #2

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Applying to a graduate program in what subject?

You are worried about one (very) bad grade from four years ago? If your later grades were As and Bs and if other indications are promising then I wouldn't expect anyone to worry about one really bad grade. Especially since it seems you got good grades in Calc II and so on, which strongly suggests that you learned Calc I, just not in the class where you were graded E.
  4. Sep 29, 2007 #3
    what the hell is an E? is that better than an F?
  5. Sep 29, 2007 #4
    ROFL! ice109 you always make me laugh. I think an E is equivalent to an F...
  6. Sep 30, 2007 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I never heard of any place giving an E as a grade either. I don't think it's a common grade for any school to give for some reason.
  7. Sep 30, 2007 #6

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Agreed; in the U.S., most unis do not award letter grades other than A,B,C,D,F. But some do sometimes award an E, although even when it is a permissible grade I think it is rarely given. I should have started by asking the OP whether or not he is in the U.S.

Regardless: the important point here seems to be that the OP need not worry that this one bad grade will somehow upset his plans.
  8. Oct 1, 2007 #7
    Actually I am applying for a master degree in Engineering. I may wonder about the 'W' and if it can be seen as a disadvantage on the transcript. [I withdrew from one semester for health reasons, and it appears in the transcript a bunch of W with a line above them indicating the medical withdrawal]

On another note; I am now an undergrad student at University of Florida 'Gainesville, Florida'. Yep, The lowest grade is an E which indicates a failing grade, as F.
  9. Oct 1, 2007 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

harvard used to give A,B,C,D,E. I recall getting an E in Physical education.

and i got into grad school with a much worse transcript than that.

what mattered was it got better at the end.

i.e. D;s and E;s as freshman, B's and A's as junior/senior.
  10. Oct 1, 2007 #9
    If your getting a Withdraw for medical reasons it shouldn't matter at all. It says right at the bottom of the transcript for medical reasons.

I had to withdraw a year for medical as well and I asked this question to my school and they told me as long as it explains its for medical no one will care.
  11. Oct 1, 2007 #10
    ahaha i have a lot of friends at UF, i've gotta ask em about this whole E business. i'm at fsu , how's your physics program?
  12. Oct 1, 2007 #11
    for reals ice109!? Thats pretty cool considering I am here at FSU as well. What classes are you currently taking? We may have a class together......
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?