Grad school preparation: Should I take a probability class?

In summary, the author recommends that the reader take a course in probability before applying to graduate school. The author has taken a course in probability and finds it to be inferior to other courses taken. The author recommends taking a different course.
tjackson3
I am (hopefully!) going to be entering grad school in the fall. I will be going for a PhD in applied mathematics. Many grad schools recommend that you take a course in probability before entering (it is strongly hinted that doing so will improve your odds of admission). Here's where the wrinkle comes in. I'm double majoring in math and physics. Within the physics department, I have had several classes that utilized and derived probability distributions (e.g. quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, thermodynamics). As a result, I've had a good deal of probability in my time as an undergraduate. In addition, I took AP Statistics waaaay back in my junior year of high school, so I've had a "formal" statistics class. Here is the course description of my school's Introduction to Probability class (listed as Statistics 4321, so it's an upper level course):

Introduction to the theory of probability, counting rules, conditional probability, independence, additive and multiplicative laws, Bayes Rule. Discrete and continuous random variables, their distributions, moments and moment generating functions. Multivariate probability distributions, independence, covariance. Distributions of functions of random variables, sampling distributions, central limit theorem

The only thing in this description that I have not had in some class or another is moments and moment generating functions. So my question is: Should I take this formal probability class in order to show that I've had it and maybe learn a couple of things I didn't know before but largely hit on topics I've already covered, or should I take a different class? Moreover, would not taking this class damage my grad school applications?

Thanks so much for your opinions!

Physics news on Phys.org
If grad schools are explicitly saying that it helps your application, who are we to contradict them?

tjackson3 said:
In addition, I took AP Statistics waaaay back in my junior year of high school, so I've had a "formal" statistics class.

All due respect to your high school teachers, I don't think this counts. :smile:

tjackson3 said:
or should I take a different class? Moreover, would not taking this class damage my grad school applications?

Is there some reason you *don't* want to take probability? What would you take instead?

The course looks quite good to me, ideas in statistics will surely come in useful at some point if you're studying an applied subject. Not only that, I'd say that probability/statistics are both underestimated/understudied/under-appreciated by undergraduate students in general, at least it is in my experience within the UK. Unless there's some dream course you'd be missing out on in place of this one, I say take it. There's no harm in reinforcing the ideas you've learned in physics from a mathematicians point of view, and you may well have to take another probability/stats class in grad school so this would be good preparation.

If you have a physics undergraduate and are applying to a Ph.D. in applied math, then it will help your application a lot if you have coursework in probability and statistics. Probability and statistics is something that is extremely weak in the undergraduate physics curriculum.

Part of the reason I think (and the admissions committees) seem to think that a course on probability and statistics would be useful is that you learn what it is that you don't know.

Jack21222 said:
If grad schools are explicitly saying that it helps your application, who are we to contradict them?

+1

fasterthanjoao said:
All due respect to your high school teachers, I don't think this counts.

+1

I have a PhD in physics, and I have taken several probability classes offered by mathematics departments. There is no comparison. The probability you pick up along the way is a) very superficial, and b) lacking in rigor and proofs.

Yes, take Probability. I'm taking it in the Spring.

1. What is the importance of taking a probability class in grad school preparation?

Taking a probability class in grad school preparation can be extremely beneficial for students in the fields of science, math, and engineering. This class helps develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and the ability to analyze and interpret data, all of which are essential for success in graduate school.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in math to take a probability class?

While a strong background in math can certainly be helpful, it is not necessarily required to take a probability class. Most probability classes are designed to be accessible to students with various levels of math proficiency, and many graduate programs offer introductory probability courses specifically for students who may not have a strong math background.

3. Will taking a probability class be helpful for my future career?

Yes, taking a probability class can be highly advantageous for your future career, especially if you plan on pursuing a career in a field that involves data analysis, research, or statistical modeling. Many employers value candidates who have a solid understanding of probability and statistics, as these skills are applicable in a wide range of industries.

4. Can I take a probability class online?

Yes, there are many online courses available for students who want to take a probability class. These courses often offer the same curriculum and level of instruction as traditional in-person classes, and they can be a convenient option for students who have busy schedules or do not have access to a local university offering the course.

5. What topics are typically covered in a probability class?

Probability classes cover a wide range of topics, but some common ones include basic concepts of probability, discrete and continuous probability distributions, random variables, conditional probability, and statistical inference. The specific topics covered may vary depending on the instructor and the level of the course, but these are some fundamental concepts that are typically included in most probability classes.