1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad school quality person - Chemistry

1. Mar 28, 2007 #1

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

One of the most difficult topics several years ago was weak acid and weak base equilibria and associated mathematical determinations about them in quantitative chemistry. Our class spent a month and a half just studying equilibria of weak acids and weak bases and their buffers, pH's, titration curves, and all their calculations. This was so difficult that I could not master it. Since graduating, I restudied that stuff a few times and it became much more learnable. Still I have not mastered it.

I wonder; if I could not master equilibria of weak acids and weak bases, does this mean that I would not be graduate school quality for studying Chemistry? Or is this relatively unimportant?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Take the GRE in chemistry and find out...

4. Mar 28, 2007 #3
    I'm going to graduate school for chemistry without ever taking a chemistry class (physics/math major)...but I did an REU at that university in the the chem dept.

Probably not typical, but it's possible. Probably gonna be doing theoretical chemistry/physical chem, fwiw

5. Mar 28, 2007 #4
    You should definitely know the concepts of acid base chemistry if you want to go to grad school. As for dissociation constants, equilibrium constants, etc. I know plenty of Organic Phds who don't remember any of that stuff. It all depends on what field you want to specialize in. In my 4 years of industry, I have yet to see 1 phd organic chemist actually care about equilibrium constants etc. beyond lechatlier's principle.

6. Mar 28, 2007 #5
    Acid/Base equilibrium is basic analytical chemistry and very important in the lab, you might want to master it. Its very intuitive and requires very basic algebra.

7. Mar 29, 2007 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I second that...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?