Grad textbook on abstract algebra

1. What is the absolute best abstract algebra book for graduate students? I was wanting a book that covers algebra in the most comprehensive manner possible, at about the level of Hungerford's Algebra. I was wondering if Carstensen's Abstract Algebra in the Sigma Series in Pure Mathematics is a good text. Any recommendations?
  2. jcsd
  3. micromass

micromass 20,053
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Hi ForMyThunder! :smile:

Which kind of algebra are you interested in? There are a lot of branches out there!

I've always found "Commutative algebra with a view on algebraic geometry" by Eisenbud wonderful. But that focusses on commutative algebra.

Another great book is the algebra books by Bourbaki, but Bourbaki's style is often criticized...
  4. jbunniii

jbunniii 3,378
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I like Rotman, Advanced Modern Algebra (2nd edition), and Isaacs, Algebra: A Graduate Course.
  5. mathwonk

mathwonk 9,956
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the modern standards are artin, dummit and foote, hungerford, lang. a little older but excellent are: jacobson, van der waerden, and sah.

i have free algebra notes on my web page for math courses 843-4-5, and 8000[6].

see my profile for address. many other people have possibly better and certainly nicer looking ones on their sites. james milne's site is a treasure trove of wonderfully well written and excellent books and notes.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?