Grad textbook on abstract algebra

What is the absolute best abstract algebra book for graduate students? I was wanting a book that covers algebra in the most comprehensive manner possible, at about the level of Hungerford's Algebra. I was wondering if Carstensen's Abstract Algebra in the Sigma Series in Pure Mathematics is a good text. Any recommendations?

Answers and Replies

Hi ForMyThunder! :smile:

Which kind of algebra are you interested in? There are a lot of branches out there!

I've always found "Commutative algebra with a view on algebraic geometry" by Eisenbud wonderful. But that focusses on commutative algebra.

Another great book is the algebra books by Bourbaki, but Bourbaki's style is often criticized...

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I like Rotman, Advanced Modern Algebra (2nd edition), and Isaacs, Algebra: A Graduate Course.

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
the modern standards are artin, dummit and foote, hungerford, lang. a little older but excellent are: jacobson, van der waerden, and sah.

i have free algebra notes on my web page for math courses 843-4-5, and 8000[6].

see my profile for address. many other people have possibly better and certainly nicer looking ones on their sites. james milne's site is a treasure trove of wonderfully well written and excellent books and notes.