Help Develop Tongue in Cheek Abstract Algebra Proof

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is struggling to pass a course in Abstract Algebra and is seeking help in developing a "tongue in cheek" proof to show their professor that the metrics for measuring success may not apply to all students. The student has put a lot of effort into passing the course but has not been successful, and is worried about not graduating and not being able to return to school in the future. They are asking for guidance on how to structure the proof and are not asking for anyone to write it for them. The conversation also touches on the topic of academic honesty and the student's personal struggles.
monkhommey
Help Develop "Tongue in Cheek" Abstract Algebra Proof

Hello all,

First and foremost I would like to thank everyone on the forum. Your post here have been invaluable in aiding me in completing many of my engineering courses.

Now I am attempting to develop a "tongue in cheek" proof using the concepts of abstract algebra proving why a student should pass a course (Abstract Algebra). And I could use your help.

A little background; I am a senior engineering student and for my last semester I am required to complete two course in upper level mathematics. I am currently successfully completing Linear Algebra (thank you again forum!) and much less successfully completing Abstract Algebra. If I don't pass the course then I will not graduate next month and I may not be able to return for a year or more if ever at all.

Now there are many factors that have caused me to not be very successful in this course. My lack of knowledge of other fields of mathematics, lack of experience with mathematical proofs, ability to understand and retain the ideas presented in Abstract Algebra. I have however put more effort into passing this course than any other course I've ever had to complete. I've found tutoring, I've used the resources of this forum, I have even resorted to online lectures to help further my understanding of the subject, however it has not been enough to succeed primarily at exam time.

My idea is; if I can show that I can use the concepts of abstract algebra to construct a proof then maybe my professor will see that the metrics for measuring a students success may not be good metric for all students. What better proof then to prove that a student should pass a course.

So I ask for your help. Please help me develop a proof of why I should pass a course in Abstract Algebra using the concepts of the course. I could use help in laying out the structure of the proof and also in relating it to the concepts in Abstract Algebra. Any help or guidance would absolutely be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Have I got this right? You want to prove that you can do this by asking others to tell you how to do it?

monkhommey said:
My idea is; if I can show that I can use the concepts of abstract algebra to construct a proof then maybe my professor will see that the metrics for measuring a students success may not be good metric for all students.

But if you can't come up with a proof and have to ask others for help, doesn't this exactly prove that the metric is a good one??
This sounds awful lot like academic dishonesty to me. Or are you planning to tell your professor exactly how much help you obtained??

Furthermore, how certain are you that your professor will actually raise your points?? Did you ask her??

I think the safest option right now is to go to your professor and ask for an extra-credit assignment. And try to establish exactly how much help you can receive.

How did you get put into a situation where if you can't pass this class, you'll be in such a horrible situation? How can you possibly not come back?

HallsofIvy said:
Have I got this right? You want to prove that you can do this by asking others to tell you how to do it?

I'm sorry, you have misunderstood my question. I am not asking anyone to tell me how to write a proof. I'm asking for direction on how such a proof could be structured. I'm asking for help with generating ideas. Is that any different than getting help from a tutor on a homework assignment? Or asking for help on a specific problem prior to an exam?

micromass said:
But if you can't come up with a proof and have to ask others for help, doesn't this exactly prove that the metric is a good one??

I don't think so. I have peers who do well on the exams and they can not construct this proof (they were the first people to hear this idea). There are also students who do poorly on the exams and can not construct this proof (Me).

micromass said:
This sounds awful lot like academic dishonesty to me. Or are you planning to tell your professor exactly how much help you obtained??

Furthermore, how certain are you that your professor will actually raise your points?? Did you ask her??

Please explain why asking for help on structuring a proof is academic dishonesty. I have already had a discussion with the professor about some of the unique resources that I have used to aid me in understanding the topics and I will gladly give credit to the people that help me to structure such a proof. Again, I am not asking anyone to write a proof for me. I am asking for help coming up with a structure for the proof.

I am not certain that my professor will raise my points. This is more than just an exercise in gaining points. This is an exercise in construction of proofs (something I am apparently terrible at and need to practice)

Pengwuino said:
How did you get put into a situation where if you can't pass this class, you'll be in such a horrible situation? How can you possibly not come back?

I have been an independent student since I was 16 years old, that means supporting myself. Over my senior year of college I went through some very difficult financial troubles resulting from my school work load and the economic troubles we have experienced. Due to that I was not able to complete my course work my senior year or the following semester. The following semester I had to withdraw from my courses in order to find side work to support myself. This was after I've sold nearly every valuable that I have owned in order to pay bills. That semester I was completing my courses successfully since I had a different math tech elective than abstract algebra.

So my intended graduation date change twice. This was a violation of my schools academic integrity policies and I had to appeal to return to the school for this semester. If I do not pass my courses this semester then I no longer have any a way of affording to be in school. If I don't pass my course work, then I'm not sure that I will be granted another Appeal for changing my graduation date once again.

Related to Help Develop Tongue in Cheek Abstract Algebra Proof

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with mathematical structures and their properties, rather than focusing on specific numbers or calculations. It involves studying algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields, and their operations and relationships.

2. What is a tongue in cheek proof?

A tongue in cheek proof is a proof that is intentionally written in a humorous or ironic manner, often using wordplay or sarcasm. These types of proofs are not meant to be taken seriously, but can be used to demonstrate a mathematical concept in a lighthearted way.

3. How does developing a tongue in cheek proof help in understanding abstract algebra?

Developing a tongue in cheek proof can help in understanding abstract algebra by making the concepts more memorable and engaging. It allows for a more creative and playful approach to learning, which can make the subject more enjoyable and easier to comprehend.

4. Are tongue in cheek proofs considered valid in mathematics?

No, tongue in cheek proofs are not considered valid in mathematics as they do not follow the traditional rules and standards of proof writing. They are meant to be humorous and entertaining, rather than rigorous and logical.

5. Can tongue in cheek proofs be used in academic settings?

While tongue in cheek proofs may not be considered valid in mathematics, they can still be used in academic settings as a tool for teaching and learning. They can be a fun and engaging way for students to explore abstract algebra concepts and can be used alongside more traditional proofs to enhance understanding.