Gradient of Scalar - Find Direction for Mosquito (1,1,2)

  • Thread starter Thread starter bigmoe70
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gradient Scalar
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
bigmoe70
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
The temperature in an auditorium is given by T = x2 + y2 - z. A mosquito located at (1,1,2) in the auditorium desires to fly in such a direction that it will get warm as soon as possible. In what direction must it fly?

I know that the gradient of T will point to the direction where the temperature rises the fastest, but I'm not quite sure what to do with the point they give me (1,1,2).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the direction they are asking for is the initial direction from its starting location of (1,1,2). The gradient of the temperature function isn't a constant, so the direction at anyone point in the auditorium may vary so giving you that initial position is a way of saying "Give me definite direction to fly towards."