Gradient Vector is Orthogonal to the Level Curve

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying that the gradient of a given function is orthogonal to the level curve of the function. It also mentions the use of directional derivatives and the fact that the function is constant on a level curve.
BennyT

Homework Statement

Let f(x,y)=arctan(x/y) and u={(√2)/2,(√2)/2}
d.) Verify that ∇fp is orthogonal to the level curve through P for P=(x,y)≠(0,0) where y=mx for m≠0 are level curves for f.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

∇f={(y)/(x^2+y^2),(-y)/(x^2+y^2)}
m=1/tan(k) where k=f(x,y) and tan(k)≠0
I'm stuck and very confused. The homework is doomed and turned in, but I still really want to understand how to think about problems like this one. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the tangent vector of the level curve? What is the requirement to be orthogonal to the level curve?

Orodruin said:
What is the tangent vector of the level curve? What is the requirement to be orthogonal to the level curve?
See that's the thing. I know this is a simple question, but I'm having a total blank. Thank you for your help and I understand if you can't show me more.

Uhh, do know what a level curve is?

HallsofIvy said:
Uhh, do know what a level curve is?
I think I do. Its the function f (x,y) equal to some constant, say k. Maybe this is right, maybe not. But when k=f (x,y), k=arctan (x/y) or y=x/(tan (k)), right? So I believe it is the function set so that the set of x and y values must equal the value k. I don't know, thank you for your help.

Yes, but you really do not need to know what it is to solve this. You have already been told that the line y = mx is a level curve. This is a straight line. What is the tangent vector of a straight line? What is a tangent vector?

BennyT said:
I think I do. Its the function f (x,y) equal to some constant, say k. Maybe this is right, maybe not. But when k=f (x,y), k=arctan (x/y) or y=x/(tan (k)), right? So I believe it is the function set so that the set of x and y values must equal the value k. I don't know, thank you for your help.
You also should know that the directional derivative for f(x,y), in direction of unit vector [itex]\vec{u}[/itex], is [itex]\vec{u}\cdot \nabla f[/itex]. In particular, that directional derivative is 0 if and only if [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] is perpendicular to [itex]\nabla f[/itex]. And, of course, since the function is constant on a level curve, the derivative along it (in its direction) is 0.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a gradient vector?

A gradient vector is a mathematical concept used to represent the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is a vector that points in the direction of the greatest increase of the function, and its magnitude represents the rate of change.

2. How is a gradient vector calculated?

A gradient vector is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and combining them into a vector. For example, if the function is f(x,y), the gradient vector would be ∇f(x,y) = [∂f/∂x, ∂f/∂y].

3. What is a level curve?

A level curve is a curve on a two-dimensional graph that represents all the points where the function has a constant value. In other words, it is a set of points that have the same height or value on the graph.

4. How is the gradient vector related to the level curve?

The gradient vector is always orthogonal (perpendicular) to the level curve at any given point. This means that the gradient vector is always pointing in the direction of greatest increase while the level curve is always perpendicular to that direction.

5. Why is it important for the gradient vector to be orthogonal to the level curve?

This relationship between the gradient vector and the level curve allows us to find the direction of steepest ascent or descent of a function at any given point. It is also a fundamental concept in multivariable calculus and is used in many applications such as optimization problems and vector fields.