1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient Vector is Orthogonal to the Level Curve

1. May 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f(x,y)=arctan(x/y) and u={(√2)/2,(√2)/2}
    d.) Verify that ∇fp is orthogonal to the level curve through P for P=(x,y)≠(0,0) where y=mx for m≠0 are level curves for f.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    ∇f={(y)/(x^2+y^2),(-y)/(x^2+y^2)}
    m=1/tan(k) where k=f(x,y) and tan(k)≠0
    I'm stuck and very confused. The homework is doomed and turned in, but I still really want to understand how to think about problems like this one. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the tangent vector of the level curve? What is the requirement to be orthogonal to the level curve?

4. May 5, 2015 #3
    See that's the thing. I know this is a simple question, but I'm having a total blank. Thank you for your help and I understand if you can't show me more.

5. May 5, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Uhh, do know what a level curve is?

6. May 5, 2015 #5
    I think I do. Its the function f (x,y) equal to some constant, say k. Maybe this is right, maybe not. But when k=f (x,y), k=arctan (x/y) or y=x/(tan (k)), right? So I believe it is the function set so that the set of x and y values must equal the value k. I don't know, thank you for your help.

7. May 5, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but you really do not need to know what it is to solve this. You have already been told that the line y = mx is a level curve. This is a straight line. What is the tangent vector of a straight line? What is a tangent vector?

8. May 6, 2015 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You also should know that the directional derivative for f(x,y), in direction of unit vector [itex]\vec{u}[/itex], is [itex]\vec{u}\cdot \nabla f[/itex]. In particular, that directional derivative is 0 if and only if [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] is perpendicular to [itex]\nabla f[/itex]. And, of course, since the function is constant on a level curve, the derivative along it (in its direction) is 0.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted