Show that the gradient is perpendicular to a point

In summary, Homework Equations show that the gradient of W is perpendicular to the level curves at (X0, 0). The slope of the tangent is -2x and 10y.
Pallatinus

Homework Statement

##W = x^2+5y^2##
Show that ##\nabla W## is perpendicular to the level curves of W at ##(X_0, 0)##

Homework Equations

##\nabla f(x,y) = <\frac {\partial f} {\partial x} , \frac {\partial f} {\partial y}>##

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the gradient is always perpendicular to the level curves and the dot product of two vectors is 0 when they are perpendicular to each other.
Then,
##\nabla W(X_0,0) = <\frac {\partial W(X_0,0)} {\partial x} , \frac {\partial W(X_0,0)} {\partial y}>##
##\nabla W(X_0,0) = <2X_0, 0>##
Now I need other vector to show that their dot product is 0, but I don't have sure how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pallatinus said:

Homework Statement

##W = x^2+5y^2##
Show that ##\nabla W## is perpendicular to the level curves of W at ##(X_0, 0)##

Homework Equations

##\nabla f(x,y) = <\frac {\partial f} {\partial x} , \frac {\partial f} {\partial y}>##

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the gradient is always perpendicular to the level curves and the dot product of two vectors is 0 when they are perpendicular to each other.
Then,
##\nabla W(X_0,0) = <\frac {\partial W(X_0,0)} {\partial x} , \frac {\partial W(X_0,0)} {\partial y}>##
##\nabla W(X_0,0) = <2X_0, 0>##
Now I need other vector to show that their dot product is 0, but I don't have sure how to proceed.
Each level curve is an ellipse whose equation is ##x^2 + 5y^2 = C## for some ##C \ge 0##. Each ellipse lies in a plane that is parallel to the x-y plane. Can you find the slope of the tangent to any of these curves?

Mark44 said:
Each level curve is an ellipse whose equation is ##x^2 + 5y^2 = C## for some ##C \ge 0##. Each ellipse lies in a plane that is parallel to the x-y plane. Can you find the slope of the tangent to any of these curves?
Yes, now I know what should I do:
##\frac {dy} {dx}= \frac {-F_x} {F_y} = \frac {-2x} {10y}##
The slope of the normal line is ##\frac {10y} {2x}## and therefore they are orthogonal at any X and Y.
Is this answer right?
There are another solution that doesn't require the slope?

Pallatinus said:
Yes, now I know what should I do:
##\frac {dy} {dx}= \frac {-F_x} {F_y} = \frac {-2x} {10y}##
The slope of the normal line is ##\frac {10y} {2x}## and therefore they are orthogonal at any X and Y.
Is this answer right?
"therefore they are orthogonal at any X and Y" -- who are "they"? And why do you think "they" are orthogonal?
You haven't shown that the gradient of W is perpendicular to the level curves at (X0, 0).
Pallatinus said:
There are another solution that doesn't require the slope?

Mark44 said:
"therefore they are orthogonal at any X and Y" -- who are "they"? And why do you think "they" are orthogonal?
You haven't shown that the gradient of W is perpendicular to the level curves at (X0, 0).
(Sorry, I need to be more specific)
I mean that the tangent line and the line that contains ##(X_0,0)## and have the gradient as its vector , If their slopes are negative reciprocal, aren't the lines orthogonal?

Pallatinus said:
(Sorry, I need to be more specific)
I mean that the tangent line and the line that contains ##(X_0,0)## and have the gradient as its vector , If their slopes are negative reciprocal, aren't the lines orthogonal?
Yes, in most cases, but not in this particular case, because of the point in question.

How did you come up with this:
Pallatinus said:
The slope of the normal line is ##\frac {10y} {2x}##
I saw that you calculated the gradient of W, but you didn't show this step.

Mark44 said:
Yes, in most cases, but not in this particular case, because of the point in question.

How did you come up with this:
I saw that you calculated the gradient of W, but you didn't show this step.
I forgot to show it. If the slope (m), is ##m = \frac {\Delta x} {\Delta y} = \frac {f_y} {f_x} = \frac {10y} {2x}##
If what I'm doing is wrong because of the point ##(X_0,0)##, what should I do?

Pallatinus said:
I forgot to show it. If the slope (m), is ##m = \frac {\Delta x} {\Delta y} = \frac {f_y} {f_x} = \frac {10y} {2x}##
m is the slope of the tangent line, right? That would be ##m = \frac {\Delta y} {\Delta x} = \frac {10y} {2x}##.
What's the slope of the tangent to any of the level curves at the point (X0, 0)?
Pallatinus said:
If what I'm doing is wrong because of the point ##(X_0,0)##, what should I do?
Include this point in your calculations.

Mark44 said:
m is the slope of the tangent line, right? That would be ##m = \frac {\Delta y} {\Delta x} = \frac {10y} {2x}##.
What's the slope of the tangent to any of the level curves at the point (X0, 0)?
My mistake, I know that the slope is ##\frac {\Delta y} {\Delta x}##. And this is the slope of the normal line. the slope of the tangent is ##\frac {-2x} {10y}## as I showed before.
The slope of the tangent would not exist, and the slope of the normal line would be 0.
Mark44 said:
Include this point in your calculations.
Yes, I have noticed this before, There will not exist a slope since the Y is 0.
This is why I haven't sure how to proceed, since this is the only way that I thought.

Pallatinus said:
My mistake, I know that the slope is ##\frac {\Delta y} {\Delta x}##. And this is the slope of the normal line. the slope of the tangent is ##\frac {-2x} {10y}## as I showed before.
The slope of the tangent would not exist, and the slope of the normal line would be 0.
Yes, I have noticed this before, There will not exist a slope since the Y is 0.
This is why I haven't sure how to proceed, since this is the only way that I thought.
Since the slope of the gradient at the point in question is 0, and the slope of the tangent line at the same point is undefined, the two lines are orthogonal.

Mark44 said:
Since the slope of the gradient at the point in question is 0, and the slope of the tangent line at the same point is undefined, the two lines are orthogonal.
Indeed, I was not sure if I can imply that with a undefined slope. But It seen's that I can.
Thank you for the help and patience.

1. What is a gradient?

The gradient is a vector that represents the direction and magnitude of the steepest increase of a function. It is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable.

2. How do you show that the gradient is perpendicular to a point?

To show that the gradient is perpendicular to a point, you need to take the dot product of the gradient vector and the vector pointing to the point. If the dot product is equal to zero, then the two vectors are perpendicular.

3. Why is it important to show that the gradient is perpendicular to a point?

Showing that the gradient is perpendicular to a point is important because it helps us understand the directional properties of a function. It allows us to determine the direction of steepest increase or decrease at a specific point.

4. Can the gradient be parallel to a point?

No, the gradient cannot be parallel to a point. If the gradient is parallel to a point, it would mean that the function has a constant value at that point, which is not possible for a non-constant function.

5. What is the geometric interpretation of the gradient being perpendicular to a point?

The geometric interpretation of the gradient being perpendicular to a point is that the gradient vector is always pointing in the direction of steepest increase of the function at that point. This is similar to how the slope of a tangent line is perpendicular to the curve of a function at a specific point.