1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding level curves in relation to gradient vectors

1. Nov 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose f:R^2 - {0} → R is a differentiable function whose gradient is nowhere 0 and that satisfies -y(df/dx) + x(df/dy) = 0 everywhere.

a) find the level curves of f

b) Show that there is a differentiable function F defined on the set of positive real numbers so that f(x) = F(||x||)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) I know that gradient vectors are orthogonal to level curves. So the fact that -y(df/dx) + x(df/dy) = 0 seems to show that the gradient vector is orthogonal to any vector of the form (x, -y). So would all vectors of this form be the level curves?

b)could I just show that F is a function that is the same as f but multiplies results that would be negative by -1?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's exactly what it means. And that, in turn, means that dy/dx= -y/x.

I think the (poor) notation is confusing you. f is a function on R2 so f(x) makes no sense if x is a number. While x and y are numerical values in (a), the fact that f is defined on R2 and the use of ||x||, rather than |x|, makes me think that, here, x is the vector in R2 which woud be (x, y) in terms of (a).

4. Nov 30, 2012 #3
    oh ok, so for b) is there some way that I could show that F exists based on the -y(df/dx) + x(df/dy) = 0 equation?
    Or would it simply involve turning sqrt(x^2 + y^2) into an R^2 vector?

5. Nov 30, 2012 #4
    actually, Ive noticed that the function g(x) = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) has the property that -y(df/dx) + x(df/dy) = 0. Therefore I could let F be h(g(x)) where h is the identity function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook