Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient version of divergence theorem?

1. Aug 10, 2015 #1
    So we all know the divergence/Gauss's theorem as
    [itex]∫ (\vec∇ ⋅ \vec v) dV = ∫\vec v \cdot d\vec S[/itex]

Now I've come across something labeled as Gauss's theorem:
    [itex]\int (\vec\nabla p)dV = \oint p d\vec S[/itex]
    where p is a scalar function.

I was wondering if I could go about proving it in the following way (replacing dot products with implied sums):
    With [itex]e_i := \hat e_i[/itex] and [itex] d\vec S := ds_1 \hat x + ds_2 \hat y + ds_3 \hat z = ds_i e_i [/itex],

[itex] \oint p d\vec S = \oint p (e_i ds_i) = \oint (p e_i)(ds_i) = \oint \vec p \cdot d\vec s[/itex] (this p vector has scalar functional dependence still, it's just [itex](p)(\vec v)[/itex], a scalar times a vector, but still overall a vector in my mind)

then applying divergence theorem and getting
    [itex]= \int (\vec \nabla \cdot \vec p) dV = \int \partial_i (p e_i) dV [/itex]

and finally applying the product rule and the fact that [itex]e_i[/itex] is a unit vector
    [itex]\int (e_i \partial_i p + p \partial_i e_i) dV[/itex].

The second term is zero, since it's a partial of a unit vector, which has no spatial dependence, leaving
    [itex]\int (e_i \partial_i p)dV = \int (\vec \nabla p) dV[/itex]

Does that make sense? I think it seems to work out, but I'm concerned that it's flawed due to my free conversions between sums and vectors. It seems unnatural that I've said [itex]d\vec S =d\vec s = ds_i[/itex], despite defining them differently. One, I suppose has actual vector components, whereas the other is just a list of components.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2015 #2

TMO

I believe the gradient version of the divergence theorem would be your typical statement that the integral of the path going through a potential is just the difference in potentials.

4. Aug 11, 2015 #3
    You must be thinking of the fundamental theorem of calculus for gradients -- [itex]\phi (\vec b) - \phi (\vec a) = \int_a^b \vec \nabla \phi \cdot d\vec r [/itex]

This was what was presented to me during a proof, and I had never seen it before
    [itex]\int (\vec\nabla p)dV = \oint p d\vec S[/itex]

(oops, and I just realized I forgot to close the surface integral of divergence theorem in my original post :P)

5. Aug 12, 2015 #4
    The usual proof of the scalar version of the divergence theorem involves replacing the vector field v by (p k), where p is a scalar field and k is an arbitrary constant vector. Then div v is equal to k.grad p. Since k is arbitrary it can then be removed from both sides giving the result.

6. Aug 12, 2015 #5
    Ah, ok. The steps are essentially the same then. Just slightly different in how you get your constant vector. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook