Graph of function of acceleration and velocity after time t

In summary, the student tried to solve the homework problem by using the equation V final = at + v initial . However, because the acceleration is not constant, the velocity changes between different points in time.
Nano-Passion
This is out of mere interest, though I'm having trouble figuring it out. Note, I set up this problem myself.

Homework Statement

Say I want to graph the function of velocity v at any given time t influenced by an acceleration a.

Given
a = 1 m/s^2

Find
velocity of any given time and represent it in a graph

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I tried to solve this was by putting time t as the input (x) and velocity v as the output f(x).

I used the equation ( V final = at + v intial ) to find the velocity at any given point in time. But I found a big discrepancy because I need the previous output for the next output.

My table of functions looked something like this:

x | f(x)
--------
1 | 1
2 | 3
3 | 6
4 | 10
10| ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If v(0) = 0 (Vinitial), then for each t, try using v(t) = at + 0.

Notice that between t= 1 and t= 2, velocity has changed from 1 to 3, a change of 2. Between t= 2 and t= 3, velocity has changed from 3 to 6, a change of 3. Between t= 3 and t= 4, velocity has changed from 6 to 10, a change of 4. See the pattern? How much do you think the velocuity will change between t= 4 and t= 5? Add that to 10 to find the velocity at t= 5.

(This is characteristic of a linearly changing acceleration.)

And, by the way, it not necessary that "initial" mean t= 0. Here you could take the "initial postion" to be at t= 1. Then lewando's formula could be written v(t)= a(t-1)+ v(1). Of course lewando's formula assumes a constant acceleration which NOT the case here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nano-Passion said:
Given
a = 1 m/s^2

This is why I thought a was constant. I thought that the function table was something N-P had generated, not part of the original problem statement.

lewando said:
If v(0) = 0 (Vinitial), then for each t, try using v(t) = at + 0.

Oh yes, such a silly mistake of me.

Thank you! And sorry for the late reply.

1. What is a graph of function of acceleration and velocity after time t?

The graph of function of acceleration and velocity after time t shows the relationship between acceleration, velocity, and time. It plots the changes in velocity and acceleration over time, allowing us to better understand an object's motion.

2. How is acceleration represented on the graph?

Acceleration is represented on the graph as the slope of the velocity line. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration. A flat line indicates no acceleration, which means the object is moving at a constant velocity.

3. How can we determine the object's initial velocity from the graph?

The object's initial velocity can be determined by looking at the y-intercept of the velocity line on the graph. This point represents the object's velocity at time t=0.

4. What does a negative acceleration on the graph indicate?

A negative acceleration on the graph indicates that the object is slowing down. This could be due to friction or an opposing force acting on the object.

5. How can we calculate the displacement of the object using the graph?

The displacement of the object can be calculated by finding the area under the velocity line on the graph. This area represents the distance traveled by the object over a certain time period.