1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph theory (incidence matrix and linear algebra)

Tags:
  1. Jan 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I can't understand this paper. I understand the whole incidence matrix stuff, but I don't quiet get how it relates to the linear algebra. I don't know if this is allowed to do, but I will ask you questions line by line, so basically you will read the paper with me explaining every single detail if it's possible.

The first things that I would like to understand are the following transformations.
    C1(Γ) ≅ R m; coordinates φ ↦ φ(ea) and
    C0(Γ) ≅ R n ; coordinates f ↦ f(vi).

what I understand about this is that a function takes on vertices and outputs something that relates to edges and viceversa. But this is too vague. I want to know more. If it's possible can you relate that to what they are trying to do in the paper?.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The paper says "recall that", implying there was some earlier discussion of these C functions. I'm not able to guess what they are.
    By the way, I think the title is supposed to say "kernel and co-kernel", not "kernel and cockerel" :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted