Graphical methods - dynamics problem.

• Thread starter jernobyl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, two vehicles, a car and a van, are initially at rest on a straight horizontal road with the van 25m ahead of the car. The van then starts moving with an acceleration of 1.5 m/s² at t=0 seconds, while the car starts moving in the same direction with an acceleration of 2 m/s² at t=5 seconds. By graphing the velocity/time of both vehicles, it is determined that their velocities are equal at t=20 seconds, with a velocity of 30 m/s. However, the distance between the van and car is not just the difference between their distances travelled, as the van's initial offset must also be taken into account. By finding the area under both
jernobyl

Homework Statement

A car and a van are at rest on a straight horizontal road, with the van 25m in front of the car. At time t=0 seconds, the van moves off with an acceleration of 1.5 m/s². At time t=5 seconds, the car moves off in the same direction along the road with an acceleration of 2 m/s². use the sketches (I did a computer sketch and it can be found http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/the_panic_light/carvan.jpg" ) of the velocity/time graphs of the car and van, on the same set of axes, to calculate the time at which their velocities are the same and state this velocity. Also, from the sketch, determine the distance between the van and car at this time.

Homework Equations

Well, because it's graphical methods, I've used v - b = m (t - a) with (a,b) = (5,0)

The van's equation is v = 1.5t
The car's equation is v = 2t - 10

The Attempt at a Solution

I equated the two equations to get the velocity being the same at t = 20, and substituted this in the van's equation to get that velocity to be v= 30. My main problem is with finding the distance between the van and the car at that time. The answer tell me it's 100m, but I've no idea what the method is. Please help! :cry: Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the relation between the distance and time given a constant acceleration?

Well, um...no. :S

The point of the exercise was to realize that the area under a certain line on a velocity/time graph equals the distance travelled. I then assumed that if I found the distance the van had travelled, and subtracted from it the distance the car had travelled, I would have my answer. But the answer I got that way did not equal the answer in the book...

looking at the graph, it seems like the headstart is 15 seconds, not 5 as stated in the problem.

Sorry, it's not to scale.

oh, ok. What answer did you get, I'm looking at 75, using your graph.

oops, that should be 100, the van had a horizontal offset. (one of those pesky integration constants)

Last edited:
The answer's meant to be 100...but again, I'm not meant to be using integration. I'm meant to be using the area under each graph as the distance travelled...so looking at the graph, before reaching t=20, the van travelled:

the area under the blue line between t=0 and t=20: 1/2 x 20 x 30 = 300m

and the car travelled:

the area under the green line between t=0 and t=20: 1/2 x 15 x 30 = 225m

...but how does this help me get to that 100m apart?!

no i understand that your're not supposed to be using integration at least in the formal sense, tho that's exactly what you are doing by computing area.

your solution above is correct, except that it ignores the initial offest between the van and the car. (this is what I meant by constant of integration--sometimes these get lost and mess up results)

But by integrating between t=0 and t=20 for the van (as it starts from 0) and only integrating between t=5 and t=20 for the car, surely I'm taking the initial offset into consideration?

reread the problem carefully. It states that the van starts from a position 25 ahead of the car. You have taken into account the offset by virtue of the headstart, but not the physical offset that has nothing to do with time.

OH. Oh my God, that's so obvious. Thanks so much for pointing that out! So I am actually right, 75 from the areas + the initial 25m offset = 100m. Got it. Thank you!

No sweat, it is there to teach you about those pesky constants that get lost I suspect. And yes you are right!

1. What is the purpose of using graphical methods in dynamics problems?

Graphical methods are used in dynamics problems to visually represent the relationship between different variables and to help understand the behavior of a system over time. This allows scientists to make predictions and analyze the dynamics of a system in a more intuitive way.

2. What are some common graphical methods used in dynamics problems?

Some common graphical methods used in dynamics problems include line graphs, scatter plots, velocity-time graphs, and acceleration-time graphs. These methods help to visualize the changes in variables over time and identify patterns or trends in the data.

3. How do graphical methods help in solving dynamics problems?

Graphical methods help in solving dynamics problems by providing a visual representation of the data, making it easier to analyze and interpret the results. This allows scientists to identify patterns, make predictions, and understand the behavior of a system more accurately.

4. What are the advantages of using graphical methods in dynamics problems?

There are several advantages of using graphical methods in dynamics problems, such as providing a clear and concise representation of data, helping to identify trends and patterns, and simplifying complex data for easier analysis and interpretation.

5. Are there any limitations to using graphical methods in dynamics problems?

While graphical methods can be a useful tool in solving dynamics problems, they do have some limitations. These methods can only show the relationship between a limited number of variables and may not accurately represent the behavior of a system in all situations. Additionally, graphical methods may not be suitable for analyzing large sets of data.