Graphing a cubed root function

In summary, the curve of \sqrt[3]{(x^{2} - 1)^{2}} has a domain of all real numbers, x-intercepts at ±1, and a y-intercept of 1. The function is symmetric about the y-axis and has no asymptotes. The first derivative of the function is \frac{4x}{3\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}} and has critical numbers at x = 0. The second derivative is \frac{12-8x^{2}}{9(x^{2}-1)} and has critical numbers at x = ±\sqrt{3}. The function is increasing on the intervals (-∞,-1) and (1,
frosty8688

Homework Statement

Sketch the curve of [itex]\sqrt[3]{(x^{2} - 1)^{2}}[/itex][/b]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined that the domain is all real numbers, the x-int. is ±1, the y-int. is 1, the function is symmetric about the y-axis, there are no asymptotes, and here is where I get lost. I took the first derivative of the function and found it to be equal to[itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex] (x[itex]^{2}[/itex] - 1)[itex]^{\frac{-1}{3}}[/itex] * 2x = [itex]\frac{4x}{3\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}}[/itex] I know one of the critical numbers is 0 and I am wondering if the other numbers is ±1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
frosty8688 said:
1. Sketch the curve of [itex]\sqrt[3]{(x^{2} - 1)^{2}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

3. I determined that the domain is all real numbers, the x-int. is ±1, the y-int. is 1, the function is symmetric about the y-axis, there are no asymptotes, and here is where I get lost. I took the first derivative of the function and found it to be equal to[itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex] (x[itex]^{2}[/itex] - 1)[itex]^{\frac{-1}{3}}[/itex] * 2x = [itex]\frac{4x}{3\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}}[/itex] I know one of the critical numbers is 0 and I am wondering if the other numbers is ±1

What do you mean on "the x-int. is ±1, the y-int. is 1"?

Where is the function increasing and where is it decreasing? Try to sketch it. What happens at x=±1?

ehild

At x=±1 the function lands on the x-axis. The function is decreasing on (-∞,0) and increasing on (0,∞).

What happens in the interval (-1,1)?

ehild

It concaves downward.

frosty8688 said:
I know one of the critical numbers is 0 and I am wondering if the other numbers is ±1 [/b]
Since the derivative is undefined at x = ±1, those also are critical numbers.

frosty8688 said:
It concaves downward.

What is the function at x=0?
Is it increasing or decreasing between -1 and 0, and between 0 and 1?

ehild

It is increasing between -1 and 0 and decreasing between 0 and 1.

At x=0 the value is 1.

Well, so it is decreasing in (-∞,-1), increasing between -1 and 0, decreasing between 0 and 1, increasing in (1,∞). The function is 1 at x=0 and 0 at ±1. Can you sketch it?

ehild

I have another question. I am trying to find the second derivative of the function and this is what I have. [itex] f"(x) = \frac{4*3\sqrt[3]{x^{2}- 1}- 4x*3*\frac{1}{3\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}}}{9\sqrt[3]{(x^{2}-1)}^{2}} = \frac{12\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}- 12x}{27\sqrt[3]{(x^{2}-1)^{2}}\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}} = \frac{12\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}- 12x}{27(x^{2}-1)} [/itex]. I am wondering if this is right so far.

frosty8688 said:
I have another question. I am trying to find the second derivative of the function and this is what I have. [itex] f"(x) = \frac{4*3\sqrt[3]{x^{2}- 1}- 4x*3*\frac{1}{3\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}}}{9\sqrt[3]{(x^{2}-1)}^{2}} = \frac{12\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}- 12x}{27\sqrt[3]{(x^{2}-1)^{2}}\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}} = \frac{12\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}- 12x}{27(x^{2}-1)} [/itex]. I am wondering if this is right so far.
Incorrect.

The derivative of [itex]\ \ 3\sqrt[3]{x^2-1}\ \ [/itex] is [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \frac{2x}{\sqrt[3]{(x^2-1)^2}}\ .[/itex]

I'm talking about the second derivative.

frosty8688 said:
I'm talking about the second derivative.
So was I.

In taking the derivative, using the quotient rule, you took the derivative of the denominator of the first derivative incorrectly.

So the equation becomes [itex] f"(x) = \frac{4*3\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}- 4x*\frac{2x}{\sqrt[3]{(x^{2}-1)^{2}}}}{9\sqrt[3]{(x^{2}-1)^{2}}} = \frac{12\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}- 8x^{2}}{9(x^{2}-1)\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}} = \frac{12-8x^{2}}{9(x^{2}-1)}[/itex]

frosty8688 said:
So the equation becomes [itex] f"(x) = \frac{4*3\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}- 4x*\frac{2x}{\sqrt[3]{(x^{2}-1)^{2}}}}{9\sqrt[3]{(x^{2}-1)^{2}}} = \frac{12\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}- 8x^{2}}{9(x^{2}-1)\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}} = \frac{12-8x^{2}}{9(x^{2}-1)}[/itex]
Not quite.

The first step is correct.

So what did I do wrong.

[itex]\displaystyle f"(x)
= \frac{4*3\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}- 4x*\frac{2x}{\sqrt[3]{(x^{2}-1)^{2}}}}{9\sqrt[3]{(x^{2}-1)^{2}}}
= \frac{12\sqrt[3]{(x^{2}-1)^3}- 8x^{2}}{9(x^{2}-1)\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}}= \ \ \dots
[/itex]

Is there a problem between the second and third steps.

So the cube root on the top would disappear and it would be [itex] \frac{4x^{2}-1}{9(x^{2}-1)\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}} [/itex]

Last edited:
frosty8688 said:
So the cube root on the top would disappear and it would be [itex] \frac{4x^{2}-1}{9(x^{2}-1)\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}} [/itex]

When the cube root in the numerator disappears, the numerator becomes [itex]12(x^2-1)-8x^2\ .[/itex]

You simplified that incorrectly.

I forgot to distribute the 12.

So the equation [itex] \frac{4(x^{2}-3)}{9(x^{2}-1)\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}}[/itex] has critical numbers at ±[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] or ±1.

[tex]\frac{ab+ c}{b}\ne a+ c[/tex]

frosty8688 said:
So the equation [itex] \frac{4(x^{2}-3)}{9(x^{2}-1)\sqrt[3]{x^{2}-1}}[/itex] has critical numbers at ±[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] or ±1.
It's not clear what equation you're referring to.

The first derivative is undefined at x = ±1 . Of course this means that the second derivative is also undefined at x = ±1 .

The second derivative is zero at [itex]x=\pm\sqrt{3}[/itex], so that the function has inflection points there.

That's what I figured.

That is also where it concaves down. Right?

frosty8688 said:
That is also where it concaves down. Right?
That's where it changes concavity, from up to down, or vice versa .

1. What is a cubed root function?

A cubed root function is a type of mathematical function that involves finding the number that, when multiplied by itself three times, gives the original number. It is denoted by the symbol ∛ and is the inverse of the cubing function.

2. How do you graph a cubed root function?

To graph a cubed root function, you first need to choose a few points on the function and plot them on a coordinate plane. Then, connect the points with a smooth curve to create the graph. It is important to note that the graph of a cubed root function will only include positive values on the y-axis, as cubed roots cannot be negative.

3. What is the domain and range of a cubed root function?

The domain of a cubed root function is all real numbers, as it can take any positive or negative value as an input. The range, however, is limited to only positive values, as the output of a cubed root function cannot be negative.

4. How can you tell if a function is a cubed root function?

A function is a cubed root function if it has the form f(x) = ∛x, where x is the input or independent variable. Additionally, a cubed root function will have a graph that looks like a curve with a sharper slope at the beginning and a flatter slope at the end.

5. What are some real-life applications of cubed root functions?

Cubed root functions can be used to model natural phenomena such as radioactive decay, population growth, and the spread of diseases. They can also be used in engineering to calculate the volume of a cube or to design curved structures such as arches and domes.