Graphing a rotational spring's constant

In summary, the individual is trying to find the elastic potential energy stored in a mousetrap spring by graphing the spring's constant and then integrating the function. They are unsure of what to measure on the x-axis and inquire about using degrees or radians. It is recommended to use radians for a simpler integration process. As for measuring the force, it is suggested to attach a scale to the cross arm of the mousetrap. The individual has already graphed using degrees and found the definite integral, resulting in 100J of stored energy. They question if there is another method to accomplish this project.
Ry122
Hi
Im trying to find the elastic potential energy stored in a mousetrap spring. I plan on doing this by graphing the spring's constant then integrating the function.
I just wanted to know what i should be measuring with the x-axis.
In normal springs the force is on the y-axis and the compression of the spring (cm) is on the x-axis.
I know it's either going to be degrees or radians (from 0 to 180) I am just not sure which one.

Physics news on Phys.org
either one you like.

would it be ok to graph the torque on the y-axis?
If not at what length should i measure the force from on the lever arm?

If you are going to get a function of the angle and then integrate, it would be simpler to use radians rather than angles. (The integral formula for a trig function in terms of degrees is more complicated than if it is in terms of radians.)

As for measuring the force, I would recommend attaching the scale to the cross arm of the mousetrap.

I've already graphed it using degrees. I just found the definite integral of the function. The stored energy was 100J
Was I supposed to do it some other way?

do it? do what? you have proposed this project for yourself, apparently. so the only person telling you what to do is yourself.

1. What is a rotational spring constant?

A rotational spring constant, also known as a torsion constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring that is being twisted or rotated rather than compressed or stretched.

2. How is the rotational spring constant calculated?

The rotational spring constant is calculated by dividing the applied torque by the resulting angular displacement. It can also be calculated by dividing the spring's shear modulus by the length of the spring.

3. What is the unit of measurement for rotational spring constant?

The unit of measurement for rotational spring constant is Newton-meters per radian (Nm/rad) or Newton-meters per degree (Nm/deg).

4. How does the rotational spring constant affect the behavior of a spring?

The higher the rotational spring constant, the stiffer the spring will be, meaning it will require more torque to achieve the same angular displacement. This affects the spring's ability to resist twisting or rotating forces.

5. Can the rotational spring constant change?

Yes, the rotational spring constant can change depending on factors such as the material and dimensions of the spring, the applied torque, and the temperature. It can also be affected by the number of rotations the spring has undergone, known as fatigue.