Graphing Conics: Finding the Vertex, Directrix, and Focus of x^2-4y^2+2x+8y-7=0

  • Thread starter Thread starter duki
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Conics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
duki
Messages
264
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



graph the following:

Homework Equations



[tex]x^2-4y^2+2x+8y-7=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



So far I've gotten to [tex](x+1)^2 = -4(y-2)[/tex]
If that's right, I have p = -1 and v = (-1 , 2) and directrix: y=2. Could someone double check me to see if I'm doing it right?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
duki said:

Homework Statement



graph the following:

Homework Equations



[tex]x^2-4y^2+2x+8y-7=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



So far I've gotten to [tex](x+1)^2 = -4(y-2)[/tex]
No, that's completely wrong! What happened to the y2 in the original equation? Try completing the square in y again!

If that's right, I have p = -1 and v = (-1 , 2) and directrix: y=2. Could someone double check me to see if I'm doing it right?

Thanks