Exploring a Conic Section: 2X² - Y² - 4xy - 4X - 8Y + 14 = 0

• Thread starter Darkbalmunk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Section
In summary, the student is trying to solve for a symetric matrix using the characteristic equation and finding the corresponding eigenvectors and constructing the matrix P. Once P is found, the original equation is in standard form and can be solved.
Darkbalmunk

Homework Statement

describe the conic section.
a) 2X² - Y² - 4xy - 4X - 8Y + 14 = 0

convert to standard form of a conic section and identify its graph.
b) X² + Y² - 2XY + 16X + 16Y = 0

Homework Equations

a) 2X² - Y² - 4xy = 4X + 8Y - 14

b) X² + Y² - 2XY = -16X - 16Y

aX² + bY² + cZ² + 2dXY + 2eXZ + 2fYZ = 0

|a d e|
|d b f| = symetric matrix A
|e f c|

The Attempt at a Solution

im actually trying to get the symetric matrix from the quadratic forms but i only know how to use the formula i have in my relevant equations. and looking at my textbook it always assume that if it has kX+kY+kZ in the formula that they are zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]Ax^2+ Bxy+ Cy^2= \begin{bmatrix}x & y\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}A & \frac{B}{2} \\ \frac{B}{2} & C\end{bmatrix}\begin{bkmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
LaTeX doesn't seem to be working. That is
[A B/2]
[B/2 A ]

the problem is when i try to get the eigenvalues of det(A-lamdaI) = 4X + 8Y - 14
So what do i do with the 4X + 8Y - 14

What? Since A itself contains only numbers, not "X" or "Y", how could the determinant be equal to 4X+ 8y- 14?

The characteristic equation is given by
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cc}2-\lambda & -2 \\ -2 & -1-\lambda\end{array}\right|= \lambda^2- \lambda- 4= 0[/tex].

Now find the corresponding eigenvectors and construct matrix P having those eigenvectors as columns. Then P^{-1}AP= D where D is the diagonal matrix having -1 and 4 on the diagonal. Your original equation is [X, Y]A[X, Y]^T+ B[X, Y]+ 14= 0 where B is [4, 8]. [X,Y]P(P^{-1}AP)+ B[X, Y]P+ 14P= 0. If you let [X', Y']= [X, Y]P, you will have a quadratic in X' and Y' that does not contain a X'Y' term.

Last edited by a moderator:
2X² - Y² - 4xy - 4X - 8Y + 14 = 0

aX² + bY² + 2cXY = 0

|a c|
|c b|

The problem I am having is i can make the equation into
2X² - Y² - 4xy - 4X - 8Y = -14

but in class nor in the book explains how i can find a symetric matrix when i have -4X and -8Y because to get the conics the teacher explained its [XY] [matrix A] |X|
|Y|
and when the problems included -4x-8y i became completely lost.

If all you want to do is identify the type of conic section it is, you can ignore the linear and constant terms Dx+Ey+F. They don't change the basic shape of the conic section. As HallsofIvy has said, you want to construct the 2x2 matrix from the coefficients A, B, and C, and then find its eigenvalues and eigenvectors. From the eigenvalues, you can identify the type of curve you have.

From the eigenvectors, you can figure what the new variables x' and y' are to get rid of the cross term. When you rewrite the original equation in terms of x' and y', you'll have

[tex]A'x'^2 + C'y'^2 + D'x'+E'y'+F=0[/tex]

Then it's essentially just a matter of completing the square twice and possibly dividing by a constant to get the equation into standard form.

Last edited:

Related to Exploring a Conic Section: 2X² - Y² - 4xy - 4X - 8Y + 14 = 0

1. What is a conic section?

A conic section is a type of geometric shape that is created by intersecting a cone with a plane. The resulting shape can be a circle, ellipse, parabola, or hyperbola.

2. How do you determine the type of conic section from its equation?

In order to determine the type of conic section from its equation, you need to look at the coefficients of the variables and the constant term. In this equation, since the coefficients of X² and Y² are not equal, it is a hyperbola. The presence of the xy term also indicates that it is a hyperbola.

3. What is the significance of the numbers in the equation of a conic section?

The numbers in the equation of a conic section represent the shape and position of the curve. The coefficients of X² and Y² determine the shape, while the coefficients of xy, X, and Y determine the position and orientation of the curve.

4. How can you graph a conic section?

To graph a conic section, you can plot points using a table of values, or use the coefficients to find the center, vertices, foci, and asymptotes (if any) of the curve. Once these points are plotted, you can draw a smooth curve that passes through them.

5. What real-life applications use conic sections?

Conic sections have many real-life applications, including in architecture (e.g. the dome of a building), astronomy (e.g. the orbit of a planet), and engineering (e.g. the shape of a satellite dish). They are also used in physics and economics to model various phenomena.