1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing data in a lab- astrophysics

1. Mar 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello! So, I recently did an experiment where I altered the eccentricity and distance from the sun of a planet orbiting around the Sun in a simulation and measured how long it took the planet to complete a single orbit. With this data, I compared my experimental data with the actual orbital period of each planet in the Solar System. I tested the eccentricity and distance of the sun for each planet so I was using actual values and essentially seeing how each planet's orbit differed between a simulation and real life.

I'm writing up a lab report, but the problem is, I'm not sure what kind of graph to make for my data. I recently thought of creating two graphs, where eccentricity or distance from the Sun would be on the x-axis and orbital period could be on the y-axis. Would that be a good way to graph my data? Or is there a better way to do so?

2. Relevant equations
    Some of Kepler's laws are relevant here, but I didn't use them in my experiment.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I originally attempted to graph the experimental orbital periods against the actual ones, but that didn't work very well. I posted this thread a few minutes ago and, before it was deleted due to my not using the template, one user (@haruspex ) suggested making a graph with the error of the simulation on the y-axis. If I were to do that, what would I put on the x-axis?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I did answer that too. To plot against two free variables, a common method is to pick one variable as the x coordinate and plot a separate curve (on the same chart) for each value of the other. If one variable takes relatively few values and they are equally spaced, that is a good candidate for the per-curve variable.

4. Mar 10, 2016 #3
    Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted