Graphing Euler Relationship as exponential spiral

In summary, the conversation is about trying to understand the Euler Relationship e^i(theta)=cos(theta)+i sin(theta) and how to graph the exponential spiral. The conversation includes discussions on how to plot a complex number on the imaginary plane and how the complex plane is different from a real plane. There is also a mention of the program on a website that can help visualize the concept and a question about how to calculate the values on the right side of the equation.
KeyLime
Hi everyone,

I am trying to get an intuitive grasp of the Euler Relationship
e^i(theta)=cos(theta)+i sin(theta)
and also understand how to graph the exponential spiral, as demonstrated on this web page:
http://www-math.mit.edu/daimp/ComplexExponential.html"

Ok, first the neuron stimulation.

I grasp how cos corresponds to the Real axis of the unit circle and sin is the imaginary axis. I grasp how to plot a complex number on the imaginary plane.

I don't grasp why cos(theta) + i sin(theta) gives me a point on the unit circle, when on a real plane I'd have to invoke Pythagoras: sqrt((cos(theta))^2 + (sin(theta))^2) = 1 to get a point on the circle.

Regarding the complex exponential tool at the link above, when I try to calculate the "a" and "b" calculations on the right side using the "a" and "b" selections on the left side, I get confused. For example, if I set b=0 and adjust a on the left, on the right side I get just e^a. This is obvious even to me. If I set a=0 and adjust b on the left, then on the right side, "a" is cos(left b) and "b" is sin(left b), so left-side b really is theta. I follow so far. How do I calculate the right-side a and b when the left-side a and b are not zero?

More fundamentally, how do you guys mentally picture what the function e^ix looks like? I want to picture a circle, but I'm not getting it. :frown:

Sigh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well the reason why cos x + i sin x gives a point on the unit circle without using Pythagoras is because the planes are different :)

On the complex plane, the components of a number are sort of like directions. 1 + 2i means 1 to the right, then 2 up. or cos x to the right (if cos x is positive) and then sin x up or down. Hopefully that will help you visualize why e^ix is a circle.

am trying to get an intuitive grasp of the Euler Relationship
e^i(theta)=cos(theta)+i sin(theta)
and also understand how to graph the exponential spiral, as demonstrated on this web page:
http://www-math.mit.edu/daimp/ComplexExponential.html

Rewrite the right hand side, then it will become clearer:
Right hand side:
[tex]e^{(a+bi)} = e^a \cdot e^{bi} [/tex]
Now if you look carefully at the expression you will notice that, [tex]e^a[/tex] is just a real number and [tex]e^{bi}[/tex] is a number on a circle in the complex plane.

(i) Now, let [tex]a[/tex] be a constant, so [tex]e^a[/tex] is also constant (choose for example a=0 as you mentioned):
[tex]e^a = K[/tex]
Thus we can write: [tex]e^a \cdot e^{bi} = K \cdot e^{bi}[/tex]

Let's examine the expression [tex]K \cdot e^{bi}[/tex].
How can we draw this in the complex plane?
If we change b only, then you will only move on the circle (with radius K) in the complex plane.

(ii) What happens, if you simultaneously change a and b?
Changing b results in a movement on the circle, but if you additionally
change a, you will also change K, the radius.

That is why you get a spiral because you also change the radius.

For example you could change a and b simultaneously by multiplying
both of them with a factor t:
(a+bi)t

To make this clearer, let's use the program on your website:
1. On the left hand side set a=0.25 and b=2.00
2. On the right hand side, there is this yellow "t-bar". Change the value
from 0 to 1.
- While changing t, observe the left hand side graphics. The yellow
dot moves from the red to the blue dot.
- While changing t, this time observe the right hand side graphics.
The yellow dot moves along the spiral from the red to the blue dot.

Last edited:
Gib Z - Thanks for the reply.
I did mention I understand how to plot a complex number on the plane - the way you said. And I have noticed that the complex plane is different than a real plane regarding applicability of Pythagoras' theorem. I have been stuck on the why is it different part. It's just occurred to me though, that comparing the complex plane and the real plane is not a valid comparison. A complex number is not two-dimensional like a point in an x/y plane is two dimensional. A complex number is (I think) one-dimensional; for example when a complex number has the imaginary portion = zero. Extending this thought, I should be able to plot a two dimensional point where x and y are complex numbers. Perhaps I can graph the point using one Real plot with real X and Y axes and one Imaginary plot with imaginary X and Y axes. Anybody hear of such a thing?

Edgardo - Thanks for your reply too.
The part where you set e^a to K was interesting. As you said, setting left a to zero (K=1) does result in left b moving a point on the circle on the graph at the right. However, setting left a to, say, 0.1 (K=1.105) results in left b moving a point on a spiral, even though left a is fixed (constant). So the radius isn't just K.

Part of what I'm trying to figure out is how to actually calculate the right a and b values. For example, if I set left a to 0.25 and left b to 1.23, I end up with right a = 0.42 and right b = 1.21. So far my feeble calculations produce different values.

If anybody else can add more thoughts, great. Otherwise, I'll post follow-ups if I find out any further answers.

KeyLime said:
Edgardo - Thanks for your reply too.
The part where you set e^a to K was interesting. As you said, setting left a to zero (K=1) does result in left b moving a point on the circle on the graph at the right. However, setting left a to, say, 0.1 (K=1.105) results in left b moving a point on a spiral, even though left a is fixed (constant). So the radius isn't just K.

Keep "a" constant at a=0.1 and change "b".
While varying "b" observe the blue dot on the right screen.
You'll notice that the dot moves on the blue circle and
not in a spiral.

KeyLime said:
Part of what I'm trying to figure out is how to actually calculate the right a and b values. For example, if I set left a to 0.25 and left b to 1.23, I end up with right a = 0.42 and right b = 1.21. So far my feeble calculations produce different values.

Let's introduce a new notation. Instead of saying "left a and b values" and
"right a and b values", we say:
Left hand side: a+bi
Right hand side: x+yi

So your question is, how will x and y look like, if you have a and b as input.
In your example, you set a=0.25 and b=1.23,
and you end up with x=0.42 and y=1.21

Let us review again how the calculation is done.
You have a+bi as input and on the right hand side you get [tex]e^{a+bi}[/tex].

But we want to know x and y:
You have a+bi as input and on the right hand side you get x+yi.

So the question is, how do x and y look like. Well, let's just
manipulate [tex]e^{a+bi}[/tex] until we get it to the form x+yi.

[tex]e^{a+bi} = e^a e^{bi} = e^a (\mbox{cos}(b) + i \mbox{sin}(b)) = (e^a \mbox{cos} (b)) + i (e^a \mbox{sin} (b)) = x + yi[/tex]

Thus, by comparing the last equation
[tex](e^a \mbox{cos} (b)) + i (e^a \mbox{sin} (b)) = x + yi[/tex]
we get

[tex]x = e^a \mbox{cos}(b)[/tex] and

[tex]y = e^a \mbox{sin}(b)[/tex]

Let's check this with the values from your example:
a = 0.25 and b = 1.23 yields
[tex]x = e^{0.25} \mbox{cos}(1.23) = 0.43[/tex]
[tex]y = e^{0.25} \mbox{sin}(1.23) = 1.21[/tex]
(Don't forget to set "rad" instead of "deg" on your calculator).

Last edited:
You've done it! Somehow I wasn't seeing the blue circle for what it is, namely e^a, like you said the first time. It never occurred to me to substitute the imaginary portion of e^(a+ib) with the full Euler's relationship like you did :bugeye:. Understanding the calculations that produce the graph on the right is the key I needed to understand the equation.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

What is Euler's Relationship?

Euler's Relationship is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the exponential function, the imaginary number i, and the trigonometric functions. It is written as eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x) and is considered one of the most beautiful equations in mathematics.

What is an exponential spiral?

An exponential spiral, also known as a logarithmic spiral, is a spiral with a constant growth factor in its radius. This means that the distance between the center and any point on the spiral increases by the same factor as you move along the spiral. It is often observed in nature, such as in the shape of shells and galaxies.

How is Euler's Relationship related to exponential spirals?

Euler's Relationship is closely related to exponential spirals because the formula eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x) can be used to express the shape of an exponential spiral. By plotting the real and imaginary parts of the equation, we can create a graph that resembles an exponential spiral.

What is the significance of graphing Euler's Relationship as an exponential spiral?

Graphing Euler's Relationship as an exponential spiral can visually demonstrate the connection between the exponential function and trigonometric functions. It also highlights the beautiful and symmetrical nature of the equation. Additionally, this graph can be useful in understanding and predicting the behavior of exponential and trigonometric functions.

How can graphing Euler's Relationship as an exponential spiral be applied in real life?

The applications of graphing Euler's Relationship as an exponential spiral are vast and varied. It can be used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze various phenomena. It can also be used as a tool for creating visually appealing designs and art. Furthermore, understanding Euler's Relationship and its connection to exponential spirals can lead to further discoveries and advancements in mathematics and science.