1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing polar curves: limacon and 2 oddballs

1. May 16, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to find patterns for polar curves. I just reviewed and feel comfortable with taking advantage of symmetry, but I still have trouble with some type of curves.

Limacons: Two types

1) inner loop
    2) no inner loop

Is there a general formula that tells me whether there will be an inner loop? [tex]r=a\pm\cos\theta[/tex] and [tex]r=a\pm\sin\theta[/tex]

[tex]r=1+2\cos\theta[/tex] inner loop

[tex]r=1.5+\cos\theta[/tex] no inner loop

I tried to find a pattern myself, but I didn't find one.

[tex]r=1+2\cos\theta[/tex] inner loop, testing if b=even

[tex]r=a+3\cos\theta[/tex] inner loop, testing if a=k, b=odd

Now the reciprocal curves threw me off. I had forgotten about the range of cosecant, which is [tex][1,\infty)U(-\infty,-1][/tex], and I looped my curve back inwards, which is incorrect.

In general, when I'm graphing polar. Sine is symmetric with the y-axis, so the values of theta that I choose are from [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2}\leq\theta\leq\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex], and Cosine is symmetric with the x-axis, so I use [tex]0\leq\theta\leq\pi[/tex].

Now my main problem:

[tex]r=\csc\theta+2[/tex] (conchoid of Nicomedes)

Cosecant is also symmetric with the y-axis, so I choose my theta interval to be [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2}<\theta<\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex].
    Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

I don't think of it as a general formula so much as a method for sorting out what the curve will do.

Plot each function on a graph of r versus [tex]\theta[/tex] over a full cycle

[tex]r=1+2\cos\theta[/tex] inner loop

[tex]r=1.5+\cos\theta[/tex] no inner loop

The first of these has a radius function which ranges from 3 to -1. The fact that the radius is negative in part of the second and third quadrants tells you there will be an inner loop. Solving for r = 0 tells us that the loop runs from (2/3)pi to (4/3)pi.

The second curve has a radius function ranging from 2.5 to 0.5. Since the radius is never negative (or even zero), there will be no loop.

For a cardioid [tex]r =a + b\cos\theta[/tex] or [tex]r =a + b\sin\theta[/tex] , there will be a loop if a < b ; the curve will have a "dimple" if a = b ; for a > b , there is no loop.

I'm a little unclear on what you're asking here, but the radius function will be negative when [tex]\sin\theta[/tex] < -(1/2) , so there ought to be a loop for the interval from
    (7/6)pi to (11/6)pi . There's a nice little animation for conchoids at http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ConchoidofNicomedes.html

Since you are working with cosecant, your conchoid will run "parallel" to the x-axis, but otherwise will behave like the one in the illustration I refer to.
    Last edited: May 29, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?