Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Gravitating particles and entropy

1. Oct 2, 2016 #1

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

<Moderator's note: this is a spin-off from another thread>

Matter isn't spreading out because of gravitational attractions between matter. If you took a bunch of gravitating particles and sealed them in container, the highest state of entropy is one where all the particles coalesce, which would be counter to the highest state being spread out. If that's what you mean, but I'm not sure I fully understand your argument.

You still have the opportunity, assuming you don't get banned for spamming this thread in the other forum. You do need solid references when discussing something "basic" when counter to what's currently accepted.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2016 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I think this is exactly backwards.

4. Oct 2, 2016 #3

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Hrmm, I don't believe so. I02-35-entropy2.jpg

But, I certainty could be wrong.

5. Oct 2, 2016 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

a) shows that a dispersed gas is highest entropy.

6. Oct 2, 2016 #5

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you missed the gravitating particles before the quote. =)

7. Oct 2, 2016 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I didn't.
    I think you are reading too much into the graph.

I see the entropy timeline applying to the top series, but not the bottom series. Without explanatory context, the interpretation is ambiguous (for all I know the bottom series is a personal pet theory of the author's,)

But I'd be interested in clarifying the intended meaning of the diagram, and then its provenance and veracity.

Here's a PF thread describing the ultimate increase in entropy.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/can-gravity-decrease-entropy.224800/#post-1875395

Maybe this should be split off. It's off-topic.

8. Oct 2, 2016 #7

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/entropy.html

Is a pretty good discussion on the topic. It's a lot more complicated than what I said above or the figure, but as far as I understand it, it's physically sound.

Edit: I see you already linked to a topic here, that links to the link above as well.

9. Oct 2, 2016 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It seems to suggest the gravity only temporarily and locally reduces entropy (like energy from the sun does for Earth.) but that, ultimately, the entropy of the universe goes up.

10. Oct 2, 2016 #9
    I appreciate this discussion point, however I wasnt referring to entropy of gravitating particles or matter. I was referring to for example, a single particle which somehow contains a large sum of energy without exploding. That its energy should spread out with the intensity of an atomic blast, should it be released from these bounds. That somehow energy from the big bang could somehow be restrained to form a particle in the first instance, but then also to persist for billions of years, longer.... I enjoy these conversations and learn through them, but this thread is going to be locked soon or deleted. So what a grand waste of time this place is

11. Oct 2, 2016 #10
    The tread that spun this off has been closed as well. This place is stifling. This forum is in a battle against entropy, in a bid to keep things tidy tidy. Sterile more like.

I like you people, but stop talking to me plz. I'm trying to leave

12. Oct 2, 2016 #11

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that would be a correct way to look it. The net entropy change due to coalescing gravitating particles is positive, irreversible due to inelastic collisions and the radiation of energy away from the local system, but can be viewed locally as a decrease in entropy since we're ignoring the transfer of information away from the local system.

In the figure above the particles coalesce into a black hole, in which the entropy would be related to the surface area of the event horizon. If the other set of particles also collapsed and those two black holes merged, the resulting surface area would have to be larger than either of the originals, and entropy would increase. Eventually, they would decay and the system would obtain equilibrium.

Maybe the easiest way to view this would be to look at the uniformity of the CMB I think. Neglecting gravity, the universe was already basically in the maximum state of entropy. However, with gravity, the gravitational entropy of the system was low.

It's not the easiest physics concepts to understand, and I don't understand it very well myself. It's also very easy to fall into misconceptions, like I think the other guy who spurred this thread did???? Or that I'm probably doing.

I'm still going through the previous linked post and the links from @atyy. It's getting late and I should probably try to sleep. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this sort of thing will reply. o_O

13. Oct 2, 2016 #12
    No, I didnt misconceive. I spoke on such a simple circumstance of entropy, not much room for confusion. Not like that whole black hole event horizon entropy tossed bs

14. Oct 2, 2016 #13

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You keep SAYING that. I didn't realize it was so difficult.

15. Oct 2, 2016 #14

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

And yet you are still here. This is dragging on like a death scene from Bugs Bunny.

16. Oct 2, 2016 #15

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

:biggrin:

17. Oct 2, 2016 #16
    Haha still here. I tried to delete my account but apparently can't. Disabled email notifications

18. Oct 2, 2016 #17

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted