Gravitation between the Moon and the Earth: physics project

In summary, the conversation was about a student's approach to a project involving the calculation of gravitation between the moon and Earth. The student plans to use Riemann sums in Excel to derive velocity and position graphs, but is stuck on integrating the acceleration and finding the radius with respect to time. The issue of conservation of momentum was brought up and it was suggested to consider the orbit of a spacecraft around the Earth instead. The student also mentioned picking the Earth as a fixed object, which may not be accurate due to factors like high tide.
BvU said:
Is the force attracting the moon or pushing it away ?
The gravitational force is attracting the moon.. our position values are getting larger tho. we used eular integration, i was expecting the values to oscillate,
velocities here look really good tho imo. i still haven't quite made out what the position values are saying.
position.PNG

Attachments

• position.PNG
    position.PNG
    51.2 KB · Views: 239
Physics news on Phys.org
isukatphysics69 said:
The gravitational force is attracting the moon..
So what about the sign of a ? If the moon leaves (R,0) with speed (0,vy) should ax and ay be > 0 ?

I'm surprised you introduce px and py if you already have a column x and y ?

(have to run: work!)

Likes isukatphysics69
BvU said:
So what about the sign of a ? If the moon leaves (R,0) with speed (0,vy) should ax and ay be > 0 ?

I'm surprised you introduce px and py if you already have a column x and y ?

(have to run: work!)
ahh i see ok, have to fix that tommorow.

We screwed up our data, trying to fix. We changed the net force to a negative, not sure if everything updated

we have motion as px^2+py^2

i will close my eyes for a few minutes and then start from scratch i think starting from scratch will be a good idea but so tired

wait so the R is the sqrt(x^2 + y^2) since i have Earth centered at 0,0. so i needed the positions to calculate the acceleration with respect to time, but to get the positions i need the velocities, but in order to get the velocities i have to integrate the acceleration. this doesn't make sense. its like what came first, the egg or the chicked, well what do i need first, the position, but to get the position i need the velocity, but to get the velocity i have to integrate the acceleration. now i am confused after i thought i had it

oh wait i think it is because the velocity doesn't change it is always 1018 m/s lol.. i see nvm . i will close eyes for a few mins now then start from scratch.

when i went to graph my results the graph was not looking good. just two straight lines for the position. not sure how my professor got the circle. i used x^2+y^2 but the value was huge and didn't make sense.

dataphysics1.PNG

Attachments

• dataphysics1.PNG
    dataphysics1.PNG
    64.2 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
isukatphysics69 said:
i will close eyes for a few mins now then start from scratch.
Looks like you need some R&R ! (same as me, actually: 1:14 AM here and an early dentist appointment :oldmad: )
How did the exam go today ?

Never mind: the integration.
upload_2018-5-8_1-6-0.png

(added rows and columns so I can refer to them)

On line 1 there are the initial conditions 384000, 0, 0, 1018 for x, y, vx, vy.
From that you calculate (with formulas) r, theta, and a, ax, ay. (still on line 1).
On line 2 we are going to do our first integration step: from 0 to dt (I tried dt = 4000 sec here).
BvU said:
the new x is the x just above + vx * dt
the new y is the y just above + vy * dt
the new vx is the vx just above + ax * dt
the new vy is the vy just above + ay * dt
and the other ones you calculate
Or, in excel formulas:

upload_2018-5-8_1-12-13.png

Does that make sense to you ? If yes, then you can copy line 2 many times over
to see things go terribly wrong. We'll discuss that once you get the intgration going in a credible manner...

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-8_1-6-0.png
    upload_2018-5-8_1-6-0.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 703
  • upload_2018-5-8_1-12-13.png
    upload_2018-5-8_1-12-13.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 679
Likes isukatphysics69
BvU said:
Looks like you need some R&R ! (same as me, actually: 1:14 AM here and an early dentist appointment :oldmad: )

View attachment 225349

From that you calculate (with formulas) r, theta, and a, ax, ay. (still on line 1).
On line 2 we are going to do our first integration step: from 0 to dt (I tried dt = 4000 sec here).
Or, in excel formulas:

View attachment 225350

to see things go terribly wrong. We'll discuss that once you get the intgration going in a credible manner...
Hi, the exam is tommorow and this is also due tommorow lol, ok i will be right back going to try to figure this out

Ok our dt is different but this is my redo of the data
here dt is 18000 seconds
i think this is looking pretty good here. i will check your post now 1 sec
my prof told me not to use trig functions so that is why i am using x/r and y/r

i can go back and change everything to 4000 seconds

PHYSPROJECT.PNG

Attachments

• PHYSPROJECT.PNG
    PHYSPROJECT.PNG
    79.9 KB · Views: 237
phySICS.PNG

Attachments

• phySICS.PNG
    phySICS.PNG
    21.1 KB · Views: 188
BVUPHYSICS.png

Attachments

• BVUPHYSICS.png
    BVUPHYSICS.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 178
Our acceleration components are looking a little different. i am refraining from trig functions because my prof advised against it.. i am trying to see if that is the only reason why
velocities differ slightly as well because of the acceleration difference, I'm pretty happy with what i am seeing right now

BvU said:

View attachment 225349

Or, in excel formulas:

View attachment 225350

to see things go terribly wrong
. We'll discuss that once you get the intgration going in a credible manner...
Wait what do you mean?

Time step seems a bit big. Try 1000 --- however, I may have a bug in my stuff. ...

If the integration works and you make a scatter plot of y vs x, you should get something like a neat circle, at least initially.

isukatphysics69 said:
prof advised against it
Prof is probably right (I can't get past x=0 without weird behaviour... (bug?)

I don't understand how you can go from x on first line to a bigger value if vx=0 ? And then on the next line to an even biger value when on line 2 vx < 0 ?

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-8_1-40-11.png
    upload_2018-5-8_1-40-11.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 391
Likes isukatphysics69
BvU said:
Time step seems a bit big. Try 1000 --- however, I may have a bug in my stuff. ...

If the integration works and you make a scatter plot of y vs x, you should get something like a neat circle, at least initially.

I don't understand how you can go from x on first line to a bigger value if vx=0 ? And then on the next line to an even biger value when on line 2 vx < 0 ?
ohh yea i see that now.. this is where my initial confusion came in. i needed those position values to get the acceleration formulas R^2 values with respect to time.
BvU said:

I think i see the issue

So i had thought that i needed the positions with respect to time for the net force since the net force was (GMm)/(R2) and R= sqrt(px^2+py^2) since the Earth was fixed.
Edited
i will try to fix
think i see how to fix it

formula.PNG

Attachments

• formula.PNG
    formula.PNG
    32.1 KB · Views: 181
omg i am AN IDIOT

Omg i think its finally working i am so dumb i was changing the acceleration value now i am keeping "a" constant and only changing the ax and ay based on position currently dragging down 1 cell at a time since they all depend on each other

ok think i got it
now i have no idea how to graph this data, that's the next challenge

projdata.PNG

Attachments

• projdata.PNG
    projdata.PNG
    69.9 KB · Views: 527
moon.PNG

moon has escaped orbit

Attachments

• moon.PNG
    moon.PNG
    32.1 KB · Views: 471
moon1.PNG

Attachments

• moon1.PNG
    moon1.PNG
    40.3 KB · Views: 440
this is looking good to me, bvu thank you for all the help! i finally got it somewhat working
(the name "position y" is misleading) this is the x and y coordinates plotted

beautiful :')

moonorbit.PNG

Attachments

• moonorbit.PNG
    moonorbit.PNG
    48.2 KB · Views: 450
Likes BvU
In fact it shouldn't come out as a circle with the set of equations and initials we had. Has to do with reduced mass.

A physics complication. There's also a math complication: an issue with simple forward Euler for this kind of problem. But you learned a great deal which is far more important than getting the 'right' result.

Good luck with the test. I hope you did get some kip :rolleyes:

Likes isukatphysics69
BvU said:
In fact it shouldn't come out as a circle with the set of equations and initials we had. Has to do with reduced mass.

A physics complication. There's also a math complication: an issue with simple forward Euler for this kind of problem. But you learned a great deal which is far more important than getting the 'right' result.

Good luck with the test. I hope you did get some kip :rolleyes:
Thank you, i will sleep after this report and study tommorow before the test, already went over the whole practice exam once

isukatphysics69 said:
now i am keeping "a" constant and only changing the ax and ay based on position
Sorry for the bummer, but that isn't the idea of the exercise.
currently dragging down 1 cell at a time since they all depend on each other
in principle row n only depends on row n-1. That's forward Euler for you, the often self-quoted recipe$$x_n = x_{n-1} + v_{x, n-1} * dt \\y_n = y_{n-1} + v_{y, n-1} * dt \\v_{x, n} = v_{x, n} + a_{x, n-1} * dt \\v_{y, n} = v_{y, n-1} + a_{y, n-1} * dt$$

gotta face the drill now

BvU said:
Sorry for the bummer, but that isn't the idea of the exercise.
in principle row n only depends on row n-1. That's forward Euler for you, the often self-quoted recipe$$x_n = x_{n-1} + v_{x, n-1} * dt \\y_n = y_{n-1} + v_{y, n-1} * dt \\v_{x, n} = v_{x, n} + a_{x, n-1} * dt \\v_{y, n} = v_{y, n-1} + a_{y, n-1} * dt$$

gotta face the drill now
aw crap what
its not possible at this point, its 4 am and due tommorow

isukatphysics69 said:
aw crap what
its not possible at this point, its 4 am and due tommorow
graphs.PNG

Attachments

• graphs.PNG
    graphs.PNG
    49.9 KB · Views: 470
i am attempting to fix it

i think i just fixed it, if you come back please let me know
oh my lord i think i may have just fixed it

Last edited:
fix2.PNG
fix1.PNG

Attachments

• fix2.PNG
    fix2.PNG
    67.5 KB · Views: 442
  • fix1.PNG
    fix1.PNG
    69.3 KB · Views: 463
Graphs are updated and still looking good, not much of a change in the graphs as i go lower the acceleration is decreasing

fix5.PNG
fix6.PNG

Attachments

• fix5.PNG
    fix5.PNG
    62.2 KB · Views: 459
  • fix6.PNG
    fix6.PNG
    30.4 KB · Views: 448
I think this is what i have to go with regardless. i gave it my best shot now have to move on and will read feedback if given from prof

this is screwed
energy3.PNG
energy2.PNG

Attachments

• energy3.PNG
    energy3.PNG
    15.2 KB · Views: 487
  • energy2.PNG
    energy2.PNG
    33.7 KB · Views: 448
Kudos for your tenacity ! Hope the test went well...

I mentioned you in a related thread . A lot of good reading in the pdf link in post #5.

There also is a recent earth-moon thread here:
CrosisBH said:
So I was messing with VPython, trying to create an Earth-Moon System. I got the actual gravity to work, and can create some nice ellipical orbits. However I run into trouble trying to make the actual (almost) circular orbit of the moon.

Definitely failed that final exam but my test average this semester was 84 over 6 test so I think I will pass the course. Very disappointed in self but how on Earth ani supposed to pass a final that has 2/6 questions that we covered last week. So I answers 3/ 6 questions and we were supposed to answer 4/6 to have a chance at full credit plus this project lack of sleep and food was a recipe for disaster plus I'm just a complete moron but whatever I failed sometimes you fail