1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity Gravitation by Misner or something similar

1. Jun 20, 2016 #1
    I was looking for this book but it appear that is out of print and the only copies available are very expansive, so what book would you recommend on GR? I mean, i want some in-depth textbook.
    Thanks! ;)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Jun 21, 2016 #3
    Zee is good.

If you have no previous experience with the mathematics of general relativity, I'd recommend starting with Schutz.

5. Jun 21, 2016 #4
    Ah ok, i was eyeballing the book from Zee! I'm reading right now a book about tensor calculus and another book on differential forms. What about the book from Sean Carroll?

6. Jun 21, 2016 #5
    I liked the notes Carroll's book started out as before the book was published. If he mostly added to those without changing the presentation much, then it's probably fine.

7. Jun 21, 2016 #6
    I recently purchased the book by Hobson and going through it - I really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521829518

Don't buy the paperback ;)

Although this is no replacement for a book, I would also recommend watching the following video assuming you know calculus and are familiar with Special Relativity. It goes so well until 1:38:53 and then it is bit rushed. Great intro nonetheless.

followed by the following lectures (expect a lot of hand waving).

You could also refer to the following notes (Caroll)
    https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9712019

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted