What are the necessary prerequisites for understanding Gravitation?

In summary, gravitation is a fundamental force that describes the attraction between two objects with mass and is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies. The prerequisites for understanding gravitation include knowledge of Newton's laws of motion, vector calculus, and the concept of mass. Mass affects gravitation by increasing the strength of the gravitational force and affecting acceleration due to gravity. Gravitational force is the actual attraction between objects, while gravitational field is the region around an object where the force of gravity is exerted. The theory of relativity, particularly Einstein's general theory, has revolutionized our understanding of gravitation by explaining it as a curvature of space and time caused by mass. This theory has been proven through experiments and observations.
billbrown1997
I recently got my hands on a copy of Gravitation by John Wheeler, Kip Thorn and Charles Misner. Reading the first few pages are very discouraging. The limit of my physics knowledge are from taking high school physics. What book would give me the knowledge I need to read Gravitation?

Physics news on Phys.org
General relativity is typically taken as an advanced undergraduate or as a graduate course. Having the prerequisites involves studying mathematics and physics for several years. It will not be sufficient to simply read a book.

Combat Special Relativity before you face that monster of a subject.

1. What is the definition of gravitation?

Gravitation is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction between two objects with mass. It is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies.

2. What are the prerequisites for understanding gravitation?

The prerequisites for understanding gravitation include a basic understanding of Newton's laws of motion, knowledge of vector calculus, and an understanding of the concept of mass and its role in gravitational attraction.

3. How does mass affect gravitation?

The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. This is why larger objects, such as planets, have a stronger gravitational force than smaller objects, such as rocks. Mass also affects the acceleration due to gravity, as described by Newton's second law of motion.

4. Is there a difference between gravitational force and gravitational field?

Yes, there is a difference. Gravitational force is the actual force of attraction between two objects with mass, while gravitational field is the region around an object where the force of gravity is exerted. The strength of the gravitational field is determined by the mass of the object creating it.

5. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of gravitation?

The theory of relativity, specifically Einstein's general theory of relativity, revolutionized our understanding of gravitation. It explains that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass. This theory has been proven through various experiments and observations.