1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitation - Satellite in circular orbit

1. Oct 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A satellite of mass m, initially at rest on the earth, is launched into a circular orbit at a height equal to radius of the earth. What is the the minimum energy required for this purpose?

2. Relevant equations

GMm/r^2 = mv^2/r

PE at surface = -GMm/R
    PE at orbit = -GMm/r

where r = 2R

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not getting the logic, and I think my problem is more so related to circular motion, I mean if we launch a satellite ,then it will go up and if viewed from outside earth , follow an elliptical trajectory , then how does it get into a circular orbit?How does a force which is actually pulling it downward suddenly provide centripetal acceleration for rotational motion? How is the initial and final energy related. I did most of the problem but this has left me perplexed made me revisit circular motion but I didnt get the solution to my answer anywhere.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2008 #2
    Re: Gravitation

To get you on the right track, think of this in terms of energy. You need to do a certain amount of work on the satellite to get it into orbit. That work goes into a change in potential energy - and - you have to get the satellite up to a certain velocity - so you also need to provide enough energy that goes into kinetic energy.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
  4. Oct 9, 2008 #3

I understand that but thats not really my question but thanks.

5. Oct 9, 2008 #4

You are making it more difficult than it is. You don;t have to go into the technical details of the launching. And it does not have to be an elliptical orbit (unless you consider a circular orbit as a special case op ellipse).
    You may think about it in two steps:
    1. rise the satellite up to a height of 2r - you provide potential energy
    2. "kick-it" laterally so it gets the appropriate speed for that orbit - you provide kinetic energy
    Total energy provided = sum of the two.
    Now, for the orbital motion, you must have mv^2/r = F
    F is the centripetal force, here the gravitational force between satellite and Earth. This will give you the orbital speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?