1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Acceleration of Pendulum

1. Jan 3, 2014 #1
    I am doing a lab report for IB Physics SL and I am supposed to use the slope of the period of a pendulum graphed against the length to find gravitational acceleration. I am trying to use the equation T=2∏√(l/g) but I'm not getting the right answer when I solve for g. (the answer is in s^2/m which obviously is wrong. I'm probably making a stupid mistake, so any help would be nice. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Can you show your work in detail? It's probably just a simple algebra mistake. Good job checking the units, BTW. That's a good way to look for mistakes... :smile:

4. Jan 3, 2014 #3
    Sure, my slope was .0135 s/cm or 1.35 s/m.

I then plugged in 1.35 for T and 1 for l (this may be the completely wrong way of approaching this, but I thought it made sense).

So my equation looked like this:

1.35s = 2∏√(1m/g) and as I'm typing this I realized what I did wrong haha
    so that becomes
    .0462s^2 = 1/g and this is where I accidentally forgot it was 1/g and not g.

But even then, this solves to g = 21.65 m/s^2 which isn't right, is it? I would think the answer should be 9.8 m/s^2, so something is wrong or I had some massive error in my experiment.

5. Jan 3, 2014 #4

berkeman

Can you post your data?

6. Jan 3, 2014 #5
    Length | Period

15.5 | 1.03
    28.2 | 1.17
    41.0 | 1.38
    50.0 | 1.54
    57.0 | 1.67
    67.5 | 1.75
    79.1 | 1.89
    94.7 | 2.07

Length is in cm and period is in seconds. (These are also averages of eight different trials for each length)

The slope of the best fit line, like I said, is .0135 s/m

7. Jan 3, 2014 #6

berkeman

How do your data compare to these other graphs?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en....0....0...1ac.1.32.img..5.19.1247.8_g03pcRNS8

8. Jan 3, 2014 #7
  9. Jan 3, 2014 #8

berkeman

If you do the calculation using the data from one of those graphs, what do you get for g? If you get the right answer using those example graphs, and not the right answer using your data, then that would imply that there was something causing errors in your data. This is a lab report, so it's okay (usually) to say that you see there is a problem with the data, and then make some intelligent guesses at what the source of the errors could be...

10. Jan 3, 2014 #9
    It's hard to get the slope of some of the graphs, but I used one and got around 18 m/s^2, which is not ridiculously far off from my answer. However, shouldn't the answer be 9.8 m/s^2? That is the gravitational acceleration constant, right?

11. Jan 3, 2014 #10

berkeman

If you plot T versus √L you should get a straight line...

12. Jan 3, 2014 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

T and ##l## aren't related linearly. You have
    $$T = \frac{2\pi}{\sqrt g} \sqrt{l},$$ so as Berkeman noted, it's T and ##\sqrt{l}## that are related linearly, with the slope corresponding to ##2\pi/\sqrt{g}##. I tend to avoid radicals, so I'd square the equation to get
    $$T^2 = \frac{4\pi^2}{g} l$$ and plot appropriately.

By the way, depending on how I fit your data, I got 9.5 m/s^2 or 8.5 m/s^2 for ##g##. It looks like there's a bit of systematic error in your data that you need to attempt to explain.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted