1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Acceleration Question

1. Oct 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the maximum gravitational attraction between a man and an apple, when a) the apple was 1m from the man's center of mass, b) the apple hit his head. (man's mass 60kg, apple mass 100g)

2. Relevant equations
    F=G(m_1)(m_2)/r^2
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set up the problem using the first equation F=((6.67x10^-11)*(60kg)*(0.1kg))/1 meter which came out to 4.002*10^-10. And for when the apple hit his head I got zero because F=((6.67x10^-11)*(60kg)*(0.1kg))/0. I guess my first question is would there be no gravitational attraction between the apple and the man when they are in contact? Does the gravitational attraction now become a weight force and normal force that cancel out?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2014 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello jb2000tj,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :)

That is correct, assuming a spherical Sir Newton.

It's not zero, but whatever the value is, there isn't enough information to solve the problem. Even if we assume a spherical Sir Newton they would be separated by Sir Newton's radius plus the apple's radius; we would need those radius values. Even if you modeled Sir Newton more realistically, we still need more information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted