Gravitational attraction problem

In summary: F) is stronger than the astronaut's (v) momentum, so the astronaut can't drift away with the toolbox at a constant speed. To get back to the shuttle, she throws the toolbox with a velocity of 4.25 m/s.
steven10137

Homework Statement

An astronaut working in the cargo bay of a space shuttle accidentally released the lifeline when picking up a toolbox. The mission control computers quickly calculated the astronaut was drifting away from the space shuttle at a constant speed of 0.350m/s. The astronaut, toolbox and space suit had a combined mass of 187.5kg and the space shuttle had a total mass of 6.55x10^3 kg

a) What is the gravitational attraction between the astronaut with equipment and the space shuttle when their centres of mass are 8.00m apart?

b) Explain how the astronaut could use the toolbox of mass 17.5 kg to get back to the cargo bay within about 20 seconds when she is 10m away.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
F = \frac{{Gm_1 m_2 }}{{r^2 }} \\
v = \frac{s}{t} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
[tex]
\;F = \frac{{Gm_1 m_2 }}{{r^2 }} = \frac{{\left( {6.67 \times 10^{ - 11} } \right)\left( {187.5} \right)\left( {6.55 \times 10^3 } \right)}}{{\left( {8.00} \right)^2 }} = 1.28 \times 10^{ - 6} \;N
[/tex]
Right?

b) I'm a little confused here.
The only thing I could think of involving the toolbox is to drop it, but how would that make her drop back to the cargo bay??

Thanks
Steven

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered conservation of momentum?

hmm ok

so we have the equation;
[tex]
\Delta {\bf{p}}_1 = - \Delta {\bf{p}}_2
[/tex]

But I'm still a little confused as to how this would help me in solving part b of the question.

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
m_1 v_1 = - m_2 v_2 \\
\left( {187.5} \right)\left( {0.350} \right) = - \left( {17.5} \right)\left( {v_2 } \right) \\
v_2 = 3.75\;ms^{ - 1} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steven.

What you have just calculated is the velocity she (so PC!) would have to throw the toolbox to stop her drift away from the space shuttle. What if she threw it harder?

Right so if 3.75 m/s is the velocity she would have to throw the toolbox to stop her from drifting away, she needs to throw it harder.

We are told that she needs to drift back within 20 seconds, when she is 10m away.

This requires a velocity of 10/20 = 0.5 m/s

So she must throw it with a velocity;
V - 3.75 = 0.5
therefore
V=4.25m/s?

Not quite. You need to take account of the relative masses of astronut and toolbox

argh I'm still having trouble.

The weight of the astronaut is 170kg and the weight of the toolbox is 17.5 kg.
A minimum velocity of 3.75 m/s is required to stop the astronaut drifting away.

I don't know what to do to form some kind of equation ... really quite stuck.
Any further help would be appreciated.

Using subscript A for astronut and T for toolbox
[tex]\Delta p_A = - \Delta p_T [/tex]
Momentum is mass x velocity
[tex]\Delta(m_{A}v_{A}) = - \Delta(m_{T}v_{T}) [/tex]
Mass does not change
[tex]m_{A}\Delta v_{A} = - m_{T} \Delta v_{T} [/tex]
The question is what [itex]\Delta v_{T}[/itex] is required to change the astronut's velocity from 0.350 away from the shuttle to 0.5 toward the shuttle ...

Ahh ok.

So it should be;
[tex]m_{A}\Delta v_{A} = - m_{T} \Delta v_{T}
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\left( {170} \right)\left( { - 0.35 - 0.5} \right) = - \left( {17.5} \right)\left( {\Delta v_T } \right) \\
\Delta v_T = \frac{{170 \times - 0.85}}{{ - 17.5}} = 8.26\;ms^{ - 1} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Looks good

excellent

thanks for your help catkin!

Hi,

I have a question about escape velocities, is this a good place to post it?
(I'm new, so sorry if I'm asking a stupid question, or if this is the wrong place to post it)

Thanks

Welcome to PF!

You are in the right place, but just create a new post in the 'introductory physics' area using the 'new topic' button

Steven

Okay, Thanks!

Jen

1. What is the gravitational attraction problem?

The gravitational attraction problem is the scientific phenomenon of how objects with mass are attracted to each other. This force, known as gravity, is what keeps objects in orbit around larger bodies, such as the Earth around the Sun.

2. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity affects the motion of objects by pulling them towards the center of the larger body. This results in a curved path, known as an orbit, around the larger body. The strength of the gravitational force is determined by the masses of the objects and the distance between them.

3. How is the gravitational attraction problem related to the theory of general relativity?

The theory of general relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, explains the gravitational attraction problem by using the concept of curved spacetime. According to this theory, massive objects curve the fabric of spacetime, causing other objects to follow a curved path towards them.

4. Can the gravitational attraction problem be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the gravitational attraction problem can be observed in everyday life. For example, when an apple falls from a tree or when a ball is thrown into the air, both objects are pulled towards the Earth by its gravitational force.

5. Are there any exceptions to the gravitational attraction problem?

While gravity is a fundamental force in the universe, there are some exceptions to the gravitational attraction problem. For example, at very small scales, the force of gravity is overcome by other forces, such as electromagnetic forces. Also, in extreme conditions such as near a black hole, the effects of gravity become much stronger and can even bend light.