Universal gravitation 11- determine the gravitational force of attraction

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two bags of apples, each containing 20 apples of equal mass, and experiencing a gravitational force of attraction of 200 units when separated by a distance of 25.0cm. After removing 10 apples from one bag and placing them into the other, the bags are again separated by the same distance of 25.0 cm. The conversation goes on to discuss various equations and approaches to calculate the gravitational force of apples in the new scenario, ultimately arriving at a solution of 150 units for the new gravitational force.
dani123

Homework Statement

Two bags of apples, each containing 20 apples of equal mass, experience a gravitational force of attraction of 200 units when separated by a distance of 25.0cm. If 10apples are removed from one bag and placed into the other bag, and the two bags are separated by the same 25.0 cm distance, determine the gravitational force of apples now. Note that the magnitude of the gravitational force should be expressed in units.

Homework Equations

I have made a list of equations that are relevant for this entire module on universal gravitation. So although there are many of them does not mean that they all apply in this circumstance. The ones relevant to this question will be placed in bold.

Kepler's 3rd law: (Ta/Tb)2=(Ra/Rb)3

motion of planets must conform to circular motion equation: Fc=4∏2mR/T2

From Kepler's 3rd law: R3/T2=K or T2=R3/K

Gravitational force of attraction between the sun and its orbiting planets: F=(4∏2Ks)*m/R2=Gmsm/R2

Gravitational force of attraction between the Earth and its orbiting satelittes: F=(4∏2Ke)m/R2=Gmem/R2

Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation: F=Gm1m2/d2

value of universal gravitation constant is: G=6.67x10-11N*m2/kg2

weight of object on or near Earth: weight=Fg=mog, where g=9.8 N/kg
Fg=Gmome/Re2

g=Gme/(Re)2

determine the mass of the Earth: me=g(Re)2/G

speed of satellite as it orbits the Earth: v=√GMe/R, where R=Re+h

period of the Earth-orbiting satellite: T=2∏√R3/GMe

Field strength in units N/kg: g=F/m

Determine mass of planet when given orbital period and mean orbital radius: Mp=4∏2Rp3/GTp2

The Attempt at a Solution

Fg=200N
d=25cm=0.25m

I used Fg=(6.67X10-11)(30)(10)/(0.25)2=3.2X10-7N

I have a strong feeling this answer is wrong, but if someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your feeling is correct :tongue2:

First off, you do not know the mass of apples in each bag, so your equations are incorrect.

Let the mass of 10 apples be m, the mass of 20 would be 2m. Now set up an equation for both bags,

[tex]F_{1} = \frac{G\cdot 2m\cdot 2m}{r^2}[/tex]

Try making a similar equation for the 10 apple case. Now without the need to substitute the values of G and r, as they remain same, just divide the equations to get an equation for F2.

You were told that 10 apples were removed from one bag. But you were not told that they were transferred to the other bag.

why is it 2m*2m? I am confused

grzz the question actually did state that they were transferred into the other bag, I just edited the problem! Thanks for noticing

dani123 said:
why is it 2m*2m? I am confused

I explained why in my previous post... The mass of one 20 apple-bag is 2m, the mass of the other 20 apples bag is 2m. What would the gravitational force between them be(without substituting numerical values)??

F=4.2688x10-9*m2?

dani123 said:
F=4.2688x10-9*m2?

Uhh I asked without substituting the numerical values, its easier that way :wink:

Last edited:
I left m for the mass... but I used the value for G and r...

so you mean like 4m2=F1*r2/G?

dani123 said:
so you mean like 4m2=F1*r2/G?

Yes! Can you make a similar equation for the case with 10 and 30 apple-bags?

3m2=F2*r2/G for the second?

But do I use 200N for the force in both equations to determine the mass?

dani123 said:
3m2=F2*r2/G for the second?

Yep. :approve:

But do I use 200N for the force in both equations to determine the mass?

Nope. You don't need to find the mass. You need to find the force F2, which ofcourse is not equal to 200N(F1). Try dividing the equations and see how you can find F2..

dividing the F1 equation by the F2 equation?

dani123 said:
dividing the F1 equation by the F2 equation?

Yes... :rolleyes:

F2=266.67 N? Does this seem right?

dani123 said:
F2=266.67 N? Does this seem right?

Nope. Recheck your equations. What expression did you get after division?

3/4=F1/F2... because everything else canceled out

dani123 said:
3/4=F1/F2... because everything else canceled out

Umm no. Without much trouble, that should be 4/3=F1/F2, don't you think? :wink:

ops haha so the answer should be 150 N right?

dani123 said:
ops haha so the answer should be 150 N right?

Aye! :approve:

Thank you so much!

1. What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a physical law proposed by Sir Isaac Newton, which states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the gravitational force of attraction determined?

The gravitational force of attraction between two objects can be determined using the formula F = G(m1*m2)/d^2, where F is the force of attraction, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

3. What is the universal gravitational constant?

The universal gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a constant value that relates the masses and distances of two objects to the gravitational force of attraction between them. Its value is approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2.

4. How does the distance between two objects affect the gravitational force of attraction?

The gravitational force of attraction between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the objects increases, the force of attraction decreases.

5. What are the units for the gravitational constant and force of attraction?

The universal gravitational constant has units of Nm^2/kg^2, while the gravitational force of attraction has units of Newtons (N). In the SI unit system, the force of attraction is also expressed in terms of kilograms (kg) and meters (m) as F = G(m1*m2)/d^2.