Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Binding Energy in GR

1. Mar 19, 2014 #1
    What is the gravitational binding energy in GR in the spherically symmetric case?

I calculate ##E=mc^2(1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{r_s}{R}}})##

where ##m## is the mass of the body, ##r_s## is the Schwarzschild radius, and ##R## is the area radius as in the Birkhoff theorem.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2014 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

For a spherically symmetric static star it is ##E = M_p - M## where ##M_p## is the total proper mass of the star and ##M## is the total mass of the star.

4. Mar 19, 2014 #3

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We need a bit more information, were you assuming a constant density interior?

5. Mar 20, 2014 #4
    We can assume the mass of a star is concentrated at a single point and a body of mass ##m## is a distance ##R## from the point. The binding energy is the energy required to move the body of mass ##m## from ##R## to infinity.

Essentially I am asking what is the GR counterpart to the Newtonian formula ##-\frac{GMm}{r}##.

In my calculations I derived ##E=mc^2(1-\frac{1}{k})## where ##k=\sqrt{1-\frac{r_s}{R}}## and ##r_s## is the Schwarzschild radius.

6. Mar 20, 2014 #5

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

MTW's gravitation has a formula for binding energy on pg 604, but their formula won't converge for the case which you describe. Certainly if you plug 0 into the Newtonian formula you won't get a finite binding energy.

Note: MTW's expression uses geometric units, where G=1.

I believe a taylor series expansion of MTW's formula will show that it gives an answer which is always greater than the Newtonian one, so I don't see how you can get any value other than infinity when r=0.

MTW's formula:
    [tex]-\int_0^r \rho \left[ \left( 1-2m/r \right)^{-\frac{1}{2}} -1 \right] \,4 \pi r^2 dr [/tex]

##\rho## is the density, which in general a function of r that depends on the equation of state of whatever is composing the mass. m is not the total mass, but the mass inside radius r, so it's also a function of r. ##\rho## is the proper density, i.e. the density in a locally Minkowskii frame.

[add]
    ## m(r) = \int 4 \pi r^2 \rho dr## see pg 603. This equation for m(r) is only valid in Schwarzschild coordinates.

Taylor expansion for m/r < 1
    [tex]-\int_0^r \rho \left[ \frac{1}{2} \frac{2m}{r} + \frac{3}{8} \left( \frac{2m}{r} \right) ^2 + \frac{5}{16} \left( \frac{2m}{r} \right)^3 + ... \right] 4 \pi r^2 dr
    [/tex]

If you take only the first term of the taylor series expansion, you get the Newtonian result.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook