Gravitational Binding Energy in GR

In summary: So in summary, for a spherically symmetric static star, the gravitational binding energy in general relativity can be calculated using the formula ##E=mc^2(1-\frac{1}{k})## where ##m## is the mass of the body, ##r_s## is the Schwarzschild radius, and ##k=\sqrt{1-\frac{r_s}{R}}##. This formula is derived using the proper density and mass inside a given radius. MTW's formula for binding energy in GR, which uses geometric units, will always give a value greater than the Newtonian result and may not converge for certain cases.
StateOfTheEqn
What is the gravitational binding energy in GR in the spherically symmetric case?

I calculate ##E=mc^2(1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{r_s}{R}}})##

where ##m## is the mass of the body, ##r_s## is the Schwarzschild radius, and ##R## is the area radius as in the Birkhoff theorem.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a spherically symmetric static star it is ##E = M_p - M## where ##M_p## is the total proper mass of the star and ##M## is the total mass of the star.

StateOfTheEqn said:
What is the gravitational binding energy in GR in the spherically symmetric case?

I calculate ##E=mc^2(1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{r_s}{R}}})##

where ##m## is the mass of the body, ##r_s## is the Schwarzschild radius, and ##R## is the area radius as in the Birkhoff theorem.

We need a bit more information, were you assuming a constant density interior?

pervect said:
We need a bit more information, were you assuming a constant density interior?

We can assume the mass of a star is concentrated at a single point and a body of mass ##m## is a distance ##R## from the point. The binding energy is the energy required to move the body of mass ##m## from ##R## to infinity.

Essentially I am asking what is the GR counterpart to the Newtonian formula ##-\frac{GMm}{r}##.

In my calculations I derived ##E=mc^2(1-\frac{1}{k})## where ##k=\sqrt{1-\frac{r_s}{R}}## and ##r_s## is the Schwarzschild radius.

MTW's gravitation has a formula for binding energy on pg 604, but their formula won't converge for the case which you describe. Certainly if you plug 0 into the Newtonian formula you won't get a finite binding energy.

Note: MTW's expression uses geometric units, where G=1.

I believe a taylor series expansion of MTW's formula will show that it gives an answer which is always greater than the Newtonian one, so I don't see how you can get any value other than infinity when r=0.

MTW's formula:
[tex]-\int_0^r \rho \left[ \left( 1-2m/r \right)^{-\frac{1}{2}} -1 \right] \,4 \pi r^2 dr [/tex]

##\rho## is the density, which in general a function of r that depends on the equation of state of whatever is composing the mass. m is not the total mass, but the mass inside radius r, so it's also a function of r. ##\rho## is the proper density, i.e. the density in a locally Minkowskii frame.

[add]
## m(r) = \int 4 \pi r^2 \rho dr## see pg 603. This equation for m(r) is only valid in Schwarzschild coordinates.

Taylor expansion for m/r < 1
[tex]-\int_0^r \rho \left[ \frac{1}{2} \frac{2m}{r} + \frac{3}{8} \left( \frac{2m}{r} \right) ^2 + \frac{5}{16} \left( \frac{2m}{r} \right)^3 + ... \right] 4 \pi r^2 dr
[/tex]

If you take only the first term of the taylor series expansion, you get the Newtonian result.

Last edited:

1. What is Gravitational Binding Energy in General Relativity?

The Gravitational Binding Energy in General Relativity (GR) is a measure of the energy required to disperse or separate a system of massive objects that are held together by their own gravitational attraction. This energy is a direct result of Einstein's Theory of General Relativity, which describes how gravity works on a large scale.

2. How is Gravitational Binding Energy calculated in GR?

In GR, the Gravitational Binding Energy is calculated by using the Einstein Field Equations, which describe how matter and energy influence the curvature of spacetime. This calculation takes into account the masses of the objects in the system, their distances from each other, and the curvature of spacetime caused by their gravitational fields.

3. What is the significance of Gravitational Binding Energy in GR?

The Gravitational Binding Energy is significant because it determines the stability of a system of massive objects. If the binding energy is greater than the total energy of the system, the objects will remain bound together. However, if the binding energy is less than the total energy, the system will eventually break apart due to the objects' gravitational attraction.

4. How does Gravitational Binding Energy relate to black holes?

In GR, black holes are objects with such strong gravitational fields that not even light can escape from them. Gravitational Binding Energy plays a crucial role in the formation and behavior of black holes. As matter falls into a black hole, its gravitational binding energy is converted into the black hole's mass and contributes to its immense gravity.

5. Can Gravitational Binding Energy be observed or measured?

Gravitational Binding Energy cannot be directly observed or measured, as it is a theoretical concept. However, its effects can be observed, such as in the behavior of binary star systems or the formation of galaxies. Scientists use mathematical models and observations to estimate the binding energy of these systems in GR.