Gravitational field strength of the earth

In summary, the gravitational field strength of the Earth is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²) and can be measured using a gravimeter. It is primarily affected by the mass and distance of an object from the Earth's center, and can vary slightly at different locations. The gravitational field strength of the Earth is what keeps objects on its surface, including humans, from floating away into space and determines the weight of objects on the Earth's surface.
AbsoluteZer0
Hi,

Using the formula g = [itex]\frac{GM}{r2}[/itex] I found 'g' to equal (9.792121683 x 106 [itex]\frac{N}{kg}[/itex])

The value of g is 9.8 [itex]\frac{N}{kg}[/itex]. I am wondering if I made an error in my calculations or if there is a method of simplifying to get 9.8.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Units. Always check your units. You most likely divided by the square of the Earth's radius in kilometers.

1. What is the gravitational field strength of the Earth?

The gravitational field strength of the Earth is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²). This means that for every second an object is falling, its speed will increase by 9.8 meters per second.

2. How is the gravitational field strength of the Earth measured?

The gravitational field strength of the Earth can be measured using a device called a gravimeter. This instrument measures the acceleration of a falling object and calculates the gravitational field strength based on the height and time of the fall.

3. What factors affect the gravitational field strength of the Earth?

The gravitational field strength of the Earth is primarily affected by the mass and distance of the object from the Earth's center. Objects with a larger mass or closer distance to the Earth will experience a stronger gravitational field.

4. Does the gravitational field strength of the Earth vary at different locations?

Yes, the gravitational field strength of the Earth can vary slightly at different locations due to variations in the Earth's shape and composition. However, these differences are very small and usually only noticeable when very precise measurements are taken.

5. How does the gravitational field strength of the Earth affect objects on its surface?

The gravitational field strength of the Earth is what keeps objects on its surface, including humans, from floating away into space. It also determines the weight of objects on the Earth's surface, as weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object.