Gravitational Force in terms of Density?

In summary: What you posted is not a force equation.In summary, the conversation discussed the task of expressing the gravitational force equation in terms of density. The original equation for gravitational force involves two masses and a radius, but the task requires finding a way to incorporate density into the equation. The conversation also touched on the use of integrals and the possibility of rearranging equations to solve for mass and then plugging it back into the equation for gravity. Ultimately, it was determined that the question may have been worded poorly and that a more likely scenario would involve expressing the equation for gravitational acceleration at the surface of a uniform sphere in terms of the density and radius of the sphere.
EthanVandals

Homework Statement

Express the gravitational force equation in terms of density.

Homework Equations

F(Gravity) = ((GravitationalConstant)(Mass1)(Mass2))/radius^2
Density = mass/volume

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on the original equation for gravitational force, there are two masses involved in the calculation of the final force dependent on your radius, etc. I'm confused as how to convert it into terms of density however, because there's no volume in the Force(gravity) equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems something like that
$$\boldsymbol f(\boldsymbol r)=\gamma\int\frac{\rho(\boldsymbol r')}{|\boldsymbol r'-\boldsymbol r|^3}(\boldsymbol r'-\boldsymbol r) dV(\boldsymbol r')$$
here ##\boldsymbol f## is the mass density of gravity: the mass ##\rho(\boldsymbol r)dV(\boldsymbol r)## is exerted by the force ##\boldsymbol f(\boldsymbol r) \rho(\boldsymbol r)dV(\boldsymbol r)##; here ##\rho## is density; ##dV## is the infinitesimal volume element; ##\boldsymbol r## is a radius vector

zwierz said:
It seems something like that
$$\boldsymbol f(\boldsymbol r)=\gamma\int\frac{\rho(\boldsymbol r')}{|\boldsymbol r'-\boldsymbol r|^3}(\boldsymbol r'-\boldsymbol r) dV(\boldsymbol r')$$
here ##\boldsymbol f## is the mass density of gravity: the mass ##\rho(\boldsymbol r)dV(\boldsymbol r)## is exerted by the force ##\boldsymbol f(\boldsymbol r) \rho(\boldsymbol r)dV(\boldsymbol r)##; here ##\rho## is density; ##dV## is the infinitesimal volume element; ##\boldsymbol r## is a radius vector
Thank you for the rapid response! Our class is algebra based physics, and our professor does not want us using things like integrals and other pieces of calculus. Is there a way to determine it algebraically? Thanks!

EthanVandals said:
Density = mass/volume
Can you rearrange that equation, solving for mass, then plug that back into the equation for gravity? That's the only thing I can figure. It seems like an unusual problem.

Likes EthanVandals
EthanVandals said:
I suspect the question is worded poorly. My guess is it should be "express the equation for gravitational acceleration at the surface of a uniform sphere in terms of the radius and density of the sphere".
In the form given, it can be answered, but you would need to involve two densities and three "radii": the radius of each of two spheres and the distance between the centres.

Last edited:
TomHart said:
Can you rearrange that equation, solving for mass, then plug that back into the equation for gravity? That's the only thing I can figure. It seems like an unusual problem.
That's most likely what I will do. Thank you for the help! :) yeah, it is somewhat unusual..I'm not sure in what scenario I'd use it, but maybe it'll show up sometime in the fluids section.

EthanVandals said:

Homework Statement

What about?

##F = \frac{G\rho_1V_1\rho_2V_2}{r^2}##

PeroK said:
What about?

##F = \frac{G\rho_1V_1\rho_2V_2}{r^2}##
No, I think it much more likely what I suggested in post #5.

1. What is the relationship between gravitational force and density?

The gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. However, when considering the gravitational force in terms of density, it is the density of the object that affects the magnitude of the gravitational force. Objects with higher densities have a stronger gravitational force compared to objects with lower densities.

2. How does density affect the strength of gravitational force on Earth?

The Earth's density is not uniform throughout its structure. The core of the Earth is denser than the outer layers, and this difference in density affects the gravitational force on the surface. The higher density of the core results in a stronger gravitational pull towards the center of the Earth, giving us our weight on the surface.

3. Can two objects with the same mass have different gravitational forces if their densities are different?

Yes, two objects with the same mass but different densities will have different gravitational forces. The object with a higher density will have a stronger gravitational force compared to the object with a lower density.

4. How does the density of a planet affect its gravitational force?

The density of a planet directly affects its gravitational force. Planets with higher densities will have stronger gravitational forces compared to planets with lower densities. This is because the mass and distance between objects remain constant, but the density of the planet varies.

5. Is there a limit to how dense an object can be before its gravitational force becomes too strong?

According to the theory of general relativity, there is a limit known as the Chandrasekhar limit, which states that if the mass of an object exceeds a certain value, its gravitational force will become so strong that it will collapse into a black hole. This limit is estimated to be around 2-3 times the mass of the sun.