Gravitational Force of Three Identical Masses

In summary, the problem involves three identical masses placed on the x-axis with one at -10.0, one at the origin, and one at 43.0. The question asks for the magnitude of the net gravitational force on the mass at the origin due to the other two masses. The equation used is F_grav = GMm/R^2 and the net force is calculated as F_net = F1-F2. The calculated forces are -0.00202 and 0.00109, but the masses may have been squared incorrectly. The correct value to use for the masses is unclear.
PSEYE

Homework Statement

Three identical masses of 550 each are placed on the x axis. One mass is at X1= -10.0 , one is at the origin, and one is at X2= 43.0 .
What is the magnitude of the net gravitational force on the mass at the origin due to the other two masses?

G = 6.673 x 10-11

Homework Equations

I'm using just the regular force of grav.

F_grav= GMm/R^2

Net force:
F_net= F1-F2

and I tried Gm^2(1/X1^2-1/X2^2)

I'm getting logical numbers, but they're not right.

I calculated Force1 to be -0.00202
I calculated Force2 to be 0.00109

I think I may have squared the mass to get the these numbers...what do I do with the masses? there are three of them, do I use 1650? or 550?

Physics news on Phys.org
got it

I would like to clarify a few things about the given problem. Firstly, the given information does not specify the units for the masses (550 what? grams, kilograms, etc.) so it is important to clarify this in order to accurately calculate the gravitational force. Secondly, the given equation for gravitational force (F_grav = GMm/R^2) is incorrect as it does not take into account the distance between the masses. The correct equation should be F_grav = Gm1m2/R^2, where m1 and m2 are the masses and R is the distance between them.

Now, to calculate the net gravitational force on the mass at the origin, we need to consider the gravitational forces exerted by both the masses at X1 and X2. Since all three masses are identical, we can simply calculate the force exerted by one mass and multiply it by 3.

Using the correct equation, we can calculate the force exerted by the mass at X1 on the mass at the origin as F1 = (6.673 x 10^-11)(550)^2/(10)^2 = 0.0015125 N. Similarly, the force exerted by the mass at X2 on the mass at the origin is F2 = (6.673 x 10^-11)(550)^2/(43)^2 = 0.0001251 N.

Therefore, the net gravitational force on the mass at the origin is F_net = (3)(0.0015125) - (0.0001251) = 0.0044124 N.

In conclusion, it is important to use the correct equation and consider the distances between the masses when calculating gravitational force. Also, it is important to specify the units for the masses in order to accurately calculate the force.

1. What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force of three identical masses?

The formula for calculating the gravitational force of three identical masses is F = G(m1m2)/d^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

2. How does the gravitational force change when the distance between the masses is increased?

The gravitational force decreases as the distance between the masses increases. This is because the force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects.

3. Is the gravitational force of three identical masses always attractive?

Yes, the gravitational force of three identical masses is always attractive. This means that the force always pulls the masses towards each other, regardless of their initial direction of motion.

4. Does the mass of the objects affect the strength of the gravitational force?

Yes, the gravitational force is directly proportional to the mass of the objects. This means that the greater the mass, the greater the force of gravity between them.

5. How does the distance between the three masses affect the gravitational force?

The distance between the three masses affects the gravitational force in the same way as the distance between two masses. As the distance increases, the force of gravity decreases. However, in this case, the distance is measured between the center of mass of the two outer masses.