Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational length contraction

1. Nov 25, 2006 #1
    A short question this time :
    Is the gravitational length contraction an effect which acts parallel as well as perpendicular to the direction of the gravitational field ?
    I suppose it is not occuring perpendicular to it, but I might be wrong and I didn't find a good reference on it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2006 #2
    Sorry, stupid question. According to the Schwarzschild metric, it is only in the radial direction.

4. Nov 25, 2006 #3

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You might also want to think about:

1) what if one uses isotropic coordinates rather than Schwarzschild coordinates?

http://io.uwinnipeg.ca/~vincent/4500.6-001/Cosmology/IsotropicCoordinates.htm

2) You might also ask about what happens on an accelerating spaceship, i.e. using Rindler coordinates.

If the answer does depend on your choice of coordinates, it was really a question about coordinates (or more formally, coordinate charts) rather than a question about physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?