1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational potential energy near the earth

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1
    I am a bit confused about gravitational potential energy near the earth, namely the formula given by mgh.

I know that potential energy is defined as U(x) = -W(x0 to x) where x0 is our chosen reference point. Let's take the earth's surface as the zero point and let's travel upwards to a point x. Since mg is pointing down and my displacement is pointing up, the dot product is negative so W(x0 to x) = -mgx. Therefore, U(x) = -(-mgh) = mgh.

however, let's say i want to travel downwards instead. then since mg is pointing down and my displacement is also pointing down, the dot product is positive this time so W(x0 to x) = mgx (x is negative). but then U(x) = -(mgx) = -mgx. If i say travel downwards from x = -2 to x = -4, i get U(-4) - U(-2) = mg(4) - mg(2) > 0, which doesn't make sense since if i am going downwards, shouldn't my change in potential energy be negative?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you have a higher PE on the ground or higher up?

4. Oct 7, 2012 #3
    Using the formula U(x) = -mgx derived from taking the work going from the zero point (ground) to a point below the surface, it seems that points above the surface have negative potential.

what i don't understand is why both approaches don't give me the same U(x). for U(x) = mgx, i traveled upwards so i can only use positive values of x (above the surface). If i want to use negative values of x, I travel downwards but i come up with U(x) = -mgx which seems to contradict with the function i got from traveling upwards since taking points above the surface, one gives me a positive PE and the other gives me a negative PE.

is there a way to reconcile them?

5. Oct 7, 2012 #4
    You lost a minus sign here.

6. Oct 7, 2012 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

U=-W, W=F.d

F=-(mg)j
    d=(y-y0)j if we go "up" (final minus initial)
    ... since y0<y, d>0 - for later reference, put h=|d|
    U= -(-mg)[+(y-y0)] = mgh

if you go "down" the d=(y0-y)j = - (y-y0)j
    U=-(-mg)[-(y-y0)] = -mgh

Keeping track of the minus signs is, indeed, the trick to keeping things consistent.

7. Oct 7, 2012 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

As others have already explained, you are essentially double counting the minus sign.

ΔU = -(F)*(Δx) = -(-mg)*(Δx) = (mg)*(Δx)

When Δx is positive, ΔU is positive; when Δx is negative, ΔU is negative.

8. Oct 7, 2012 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

@demonelite: this sound good to you?

9. Oct 9, 2012 #8
    sorry about my late response. i'm still a bit confused. for the case "going up" i agree that F = (-mg)j and d = (y - y0)j since as you said it was final point (y) - initial point (y0).

but for the "going down" case, F = (-mg)j but how come d = (y0 - y)j? isn't final point - initial point still y - y0?

thanks for all the replies so far everyone.

10. Oct 10, 2012 #9

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

In the "going down" case the object is going "from" y "to" y0, so final point - initial point is y0 - y which is negative.

11. Oct 10, 2012 #10

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thank you jtbell :)
    @deminelite123 - since y > y0, in order to go down you have to start at y.

12. Oct 10, 2012 #11
    ah ok. what you said earlier makes sense now. thanks!

13. Oct 10, 2012 #12
    Like everyone said, you missed a minus sign. :)

14. Oct 10, 2012 #13

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No worries, happens to the best of us.

In general, it is a good discipline to have the same labels refer to the same things. In this case: locations - when you were going down, you forgot to account for your y0>y so that y-y0 < 0. Try it with a diagram.

15. Oct 10, 2012 #14
    Wait a second... The professor at MIT said that when I do positive work, gravity does negative work and when I do negative work, gravity does positive work. How does this make sense. When I do negative work from A to B then gravity is also doing negative work right? since it is -mg?

16. Oct 10, 2012 #15

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Keep track of the directions ...

If you lower a mass at constant speed, then you are exerting a force in the opposite direction to the displacement, and gravity is acting in the same direction as displacement.

In your example, A must be higher than B so the displacement from A to B is negative.

17. Oct 11, 2012 #16
    Thanks a lot

18. Oct 11, 2012 #17
  19. Oct 11, 2012 #18

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No worries.
    Tracking the minus signs can be tricky - especially if things are slowing down as well as changing direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook