Gravitational Waves: What Happens In Between?

In summary, the discussion revolves around the presence and effects of gravitational waves. The possibility of reversing these waves and the impact on space-time in between them is raised. The concept of strain on objects and their return to normal state after the wave passes is also mentioned. A clarification is made to distinguish between gravitational waves and gravity waves.
Piranha Butch
Hi when i found out about the presence of gravity waves, i first thought 'what happens if they were to be reversed' and then i thought 'what happens to space time in between these waves?'
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Piranha Butch said:
Hi when i found out about the presence of gravity waves, i first thought 'what happens if they were to be reversed'

What do you mean by "reversed"? Simply have the gravitational wave travel in the opposite direction?

Piranha Butch said:
then i thought 'what happens to space time in between these waves?'

From wikipedia's article on gravitational waves: As a gravitational wave passes an observer, that observer will find spacetime distorted by the effects of strain. Distances between objects increase and decrease rhythmically as the wave passes, at a frequency corresponding to that of the wave.

In between the waves, spacetime returns to its state prior to the wavefront's arrival, so the distances between objects will return to normal and whatever strain was imposed by the gravitational wave on solid objects will disappear.

Please distinguish gravitational waves and gravity waves. The latter are disturbances of the space-time metric, the former is what you have at a water surface. I will update the thread title accordingly.

What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time that are produced when massive objects accelerate. These waves were predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity and were first directly detected in 2015 by the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO).

How are gravitational waves produced?

Gravitational waves are produced when massive objects, such as black holes or neutron stars, accelerate or collide with each other. As these objects move, they create ripples in the fabric of space-time, similar to how a stone creates ripples in a pond.

What happens to gravitational waves in between massive objects?

In between massive objects, gravitational waves continue to propagate through space-time at the speed of light. However, as they travel, they become weaker and harder to detect. This is because the energy of the waves is spread out over a larger area.

How do we detect gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are detected using specialized equipment, such as the LIGO detectors. These detectors use lasers to measure tiny changes in the spacing between mirrors caused by passing gravitational waves. The detection of these waves provides valuable information about the objects that produced them.

What can we learn from studying gravitational waves?

Studying gravitational waves can provide us with a deeper understanding of the universe and its origins. By detecting and analyzing these waves, scientists can learn more about the properties of massive objects, such as black holes and neutron stars, and how they interact with each other. Gravitational waves also provide a new way to study the universe, as they can travel through space without being affected by intervening matter.