Graviton and other particle interections

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spin in particle physics and how it relates to interactions between particles. It is mentioned that the spin of a hypothetical graviton would be 2 and that it would interact with other particles. The concept of bound states and scattering processes is also explained, along with the conservation of total angular momentum. It is noted that in interactions involving multiple particles, there can be contributions from both spin and orbital angular momentum. The conversation also touches
Quarlep
We know that graviton spin is 2 so other lepton and quarks spin is 1/2 I am confused because If Graviton and a quark or maybe a lepton make an interaction than the last spin must be 3/2 or 5/2 but there's no particle exist in this spin quantity.It means there's no particle called graviton or I don't know I am confused

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You only add spins if you have a particle which is the bound state of other particles. But not all kinds of interactions give bound states!

Whats bound state I googled but its hard to understand

I lookes there But I didnt undertsand I am 16 years old and I don't know QM. Its complicated and I don't know english very well.

Can you tell me more specific so you are trying to tell me there's a graviton but is not interact with other particles.
Or its interacts ?

OK. The point is, in some situations, the interaction is somehow that the particles are going to remain close to each other. In these situations, we say that they formed a bound state, a composite particle. Like a proton which is formed from two up quarks and one down quark.
But for some other situations, the particles just attract or repel each other for some time and then leave each other alone. These are called scattering processes or sometimes collisions.

I ask it because I read a book about particle phyiscs and the author said that spin is conserved its true or not ?
And thanks for explanation Thanks I understand it

Total angular momentum is conserved. Spin is one part, but the motion of particles can contribute to the angular momentum as well.

We know that graviton spin is 2
We know that if it exists, its spin has to be 2.

Yes a (hypothetical) graviton would interact with other particles.

Quarlep said:
If Graviton and a quark or maybe a lepton make an interaction than the last spin must be 3/2 or 5/2

Why? A spin-1 photon can interact with a spin-0 alpha particle and it will remain a spin-0 alpha particle?

As for the photon-alpha particle interactions, in case the alpha particle absorbs a photon, it's going to get excited and so will get orbital momentum to conserve the angular momentum. Is giving composite particles for this case good?

mfb said:
Total angular momentum is conserved. Spin is one part, but the motion of particles can contribute to the angular momentum as well.

I learned that total angular momentum is conserved as indicated above.But I am confused here because total angular momentum is equal spin angular momentum plus orbital angular momentum. In particle interactions like two electron collusions or proton proton collusion every collusions or decays there's no orbital angular momentum(my idea) so I guess total angular momentum must be equal spin angular momentum because there's no orbital momentum so If graviton interects with another particle total angular momentum must be conserved so I claimed that its equal spin angular momentum.Its the reason why I said that graviton and other particle interactions result of spin is 3/2 or 5/2.
Am I wrong.

ChrisVer said:
As for the photon-alpha particle interactions, in case the alpha particle absorbs a photon, it's going to get excited and so will get orbital momentum to conserve the angular momentum. Is giving composite particles for this case good?

Let's not complicate things when we explain things. It doesn't have to absorb the photon.

if it doesn't absorb the photon then the alpha+gamma will give alpha+gamma

Chris, you are not helping. What I am trying to get across is the idea that you can have an interaction with no exchange of angular momentum. Quibbling does not help.

Quarlep said:
I learned that total angular momentum is conserved as indicated above.But I am confused here because total angular momentum is equal spin angular momentum plus orbital angular momentum. In particle interactions like two electron collusions or proton proton collusion every collusions or decays there's no orbital angular momentum(my idea) so I guess total angular momentum must be equal spin angular momentum because there's no orbital momentum so If graviton interects with another particle total angular momentum must be conserved so I claimed that its equal spin angular momentum.Its the reason why I said that graviton and other particle interactions result of spin is 3/2 or 5/2.
Am I wrong.
As soon as there is more than one particle, you can have "orbital" angular momentum (not really as orbit, but as displaced relative motion).
Collision with i.

1. What is a graviton?

A graviton is a hypothetical elementary particle that is believed to mediate the force of gravity. It is predicted by theories that aim to unify the four fundamental forces of nature.

2. How does a graviton interact with other particles?

A graviton interacts with other particles through the force of gravity. It is responsible for the attraction between objects with mass.

3. What is the difference between a graviton and other particles?

Gravitons are unique in that they are the only known particles that are thought to mediate a fundamental force. Other particles, such as protons and electrons, are considered to be matter particles that make up the universe.

4. Can gravitons be detected?

As of now, gravitons have not been directly detected. However, scientists have been able to indirectly observe the effects of gravity, which is believed to be caused by gravitons.

5. How does the existence of gravitons impact our understanding of the universe?

The existence of gravitons is still a subject of much research and debate. If they are proven to exist, it would greatly enhance our understanding of the fundamental forces and the laws of the universe. It could also lead to new discoveries and advancements in the field of physics.