Pressure in the proton, from gravitational form factors?

In summary, a recent paper in Nature has calculated the pressure distribution inside a proton using data from the scattering of an electron from a quark via the exchange of two photons. This theory has been established in the literature, but there is some skepticism about its validity and methods. The gravitational form factors, which give the spatial distribution of mass in the proton, can only be applied to the quarks and not the gluons. Indirect measurement of these form factors is done through the generalized Parton distribution, which is gathered using a scattering regime known as "deeply virtual inelastic scattering."
mitchell porter
Gold Member
A paper in Nature is getting some press, for having calculated "the pressure distribution inside the proton".

But the theory behind the calculation seems a little odd. Apparently the data pertains to the scattering of an electron from a quark via the exchange of two photons. But each photon has spin 1, so that adds up to spin 2 like a graviton... and then there's talk about gravitational form factors, as if there are sufficient formal similarities with the two-photon electromagnetic form factors (?) that gravitational calculations can be transposed to the electromagnetic context.

I'm not at all saying this is impossible, but I am a little skeptical. Does anyone have an informed opinion on the validity of this work, and its methods?

Likes BvU
Physics news on Phys.org
So I’m not an expert by any means here, but the paper interested me as well. The theory seems to have been established pretty firmly in the literature. Here’s a short review:
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s11467-016-0573-6.pdf

My rough understanding of it: The gravitational form factors are matrix elements of the energy momentum tensor. Their Fourier transform gives the spatial distribution of mass (or energy) in the proton—cf. electric form factor, whose Fourier transform gives the spatial charge distribution. For reasons beyond my ken, in the proton, this seems to apply only to the quarks and not the gluons (thus pressure distribution instead of energy distribution). I don’t really get this part and am probably misinterpreting what I am reading.

Anywho, direct measurement of the gravitational form factor requires measuring the graviton-proton interaction, which obviously isn’t experimentally feasible currently. But since gravitational mass and inertial mass are equivalent (according to the equivalence principle), you can indirectly get at the inertial mass distribution via the generalized Parton distribution. Which is what the Nature paper does. They gather information about he GPD using a scattering regime called “deeply virtual inelastic scattering.”

Edit: the GPD gets access to the off-diagonal elements of the gravitational form factor— these are momentum correlations among the quarks. The diagonal elements are related in some simple way to the mass of the quarks.

Likes Craftek_Ana

1. What is pressure in the proton?

Pressure in the proton refers to the force exerted on the walls of the proton due to the internal interactions between its constituent particles.

2. How is pressure in the proton measured?

Pressure in the proton is measured using a concept called the gravitational form factors, which can be obtained through experiments such as elastic scattering and deep inelastic scattering.

3. What factors contribute to pressure in the proton?

The pressure in the proton is primarily influenced by the strong nuclear force, which binds the quarks and gluons together, and the kinetic energy of these particles as they move within the proton.

4. How does pressure in the proton affect its structure?

The pressure in the proton plays a crucial role in determining its size and shape, as well as the distribution of its charge and mass. It also affects the stability and behavior of the proton in different environments.

5. What is the significance of studying pressure in the proton?

Studying pressure in the proton can provide insights into the fundamental structure of matter and the strong nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in nature. It can also help us better understand the behavior of other subatomic particles and the formation of larger structures, such as atoms and molecules.