Gravity as a distorion of space-time

In summary, Einstein's theory of gravity says that spacetime (together) becomes (intrinsically) curved (not "distorted) in the presence of energy/mass. This makes it so that objects on Earth are pulled down by the curvature, but why do people all over the planet's surface feel this force?
EngWiPy
Hello,

We were taught at school that gravity is a pulling force between two objects related to their masses and the distance between them. Based on this, it seemed reasonable why we can walk on Earth while on space or on the moon we cannot.

But then I came to the Einstein's theory of gravity as masses distort the space-time fabric. How can we explain what I mentioned earlier using this model?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
S_David said:
why we can walk on Earth while on space or on the moon we cannot.

Hoe did you come to that conclusion ??
have you not see the 100's of photos and videos of men walking and driving on the moon ?Dave

S_David said:
Based on this, it seemed reasonable why we can walk on Earth while on space or on the moon we cannot.
Why cannot people walk on the moon?

Walking as on Earth where your next position relative to the current one is one foot away not like 5 or 10 feet. Walking not jumping. Anyway, I appreciate if someone simplifies the answer to me in English because I am not a physicist, and this question has been in my mind for a while now. I watched a YouTube video for Michio Kaku saying that gravity pushing us down not the Earth pulling us down. How is that?

S_David said:
Walking as on Earth where your next position relative to the current one is one foot away not like 5 or 10 feet. Walking not jumping. Anyway, I appreciate if someone simplifies the answer to me in English because I am not a physicist, and this question has been in my mind for a while now. I watched a YouTube video for Michio Kaku saying that gravity pushing us down not the Earth pulling us down. How is that?
I guess you're trying to understand why astronauts feel 'lighter' on the moon when compared to the Earth, right?

What Einstein's general theory of relativity says is that spacetime (together) becomes (intrinsically) curved (not "distorted) in the presence of energy/mass. You can think of it as someone standing on a trampoline. All other (less massive) objects naturally move along these 'depressions' (the technical word for a free-falling path is a geodesic) or curves until they hit the object that is creating the most curvature (of course, the infalling objects also create cause some curvature, but the motion of the massive body along these "light curves" is negligible). So when you're standing on the Earth, the surface is preventing your body from moving along the curves to the center of the Earth, and so you feel a 'force'. If nothing stopped you, you would feel no force as you move towards the gravitating object. The moon is less massive than the Earth, and hence curves spacetime by a smaller amount. Therefore, the moon's surface exerts a lower force on you when it prevents you from moving toward it's center of mass.

PWiz said:
I guess you're trying to understand why astronauts feel 'lighter' on the moon when compared to the Earth, right?

What Einstein's general theory of relativity says is that spacetime (together) becomes (intrinsically) curved (not "distorted) in the presence of energy/mass. You can think of it as someone standing on a trampoline. All other (less massive) objects naturally move along these 'depressions' (the technical word for a free-falling path is a geodesic) or curves until they hit the object that is creating the most curvature (of course, the infalling objects also create cause some curvature, but the motion of the massive body along these "light curves" is negligible). So when you're standing on the Earth, the surface is preventing your body from moving along the curves to the center of the Earth, and so you feel a 'force'. If nothing stopped you, you would feel no force as you move towards the gravitating object. The moon is less massive than the Earth, and hence curves spacetime by a smaller amount. Therefore, the moon's surface exerts a lower force on you when it prevents you from moving toward it's center of mass.

Thanks for replying. My problem precisely is the following then: if we assume that space-time is two dimensional and flat, the Earth will curve it downward, right? as in a trampoline. This will make people on the upside Earth pulled down because of this curvature, (Please correct me if I am wrong), but how can we explain why people all over the Earth's Surface are pulled toward the center of Earth, and not toward the curved space?

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is the force that attracts objects with mass towards each other. It is a fundamental force in the universe and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around stars, stars in galaxies, and galaxies in clusters.

2. How does gravity distort space-time?

In Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is explained as a distortion of the fabric of space-time caused by the presence of massive objects. These distortions can be visualized as a rubber sheet, with the presence of mass creating a dip or curvature in the sheet. The larger the mass, the greater the distortion.

3. What evidence supports the concept of gravity as a distortion of space-time?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the concept of gravity as a distortion of space-time, including the bending of light from distant stars by the sun's gravitational field, the orbital motion of planets and other celestial bodies, and the gravitational redshift of light.

4. How does the concept of gravity as a distortion of space-time differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

Newton's theory of gravity, also known as the law of universal gravitation, describes gravity as a force of attraction between two objects with mass. However, in Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force but a result of the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass.

5. Can gravity be shielded or canceled?

No, gravity cannot be shielded or canceled. It is a fundamental force that affects all objects with mass. However, it can be weakened or counteracted by other forces, such as the centrifugal force of a spinning object or the force of thrust from a rocket.