Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity corrections- latitude correction

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    i have i problem with many parts to it that the forums may be able to help me with. ive been given a scenario which involves gravity surveys along a path, in summary here it is:

a gravity survey is taken at an initial latitude of 45 degrees and has an azimuth of 30 degrees.

ive also been given a list of gravity data readings, but its not the problem. the question asks to apply necessairy corrections and i know latitude correction is one. my problem is how to determine the correction for each reading given. i know i have to draw a triangle from the start (45 degrees) and a line going out from there 30 degrees. i have found the distance ive traveled north when i travel along the azimuth.

we have been given a correction formula: g= -8.108 sin 2 theta where theta is the given degree of latitude.

at this point i am stuck. how do you find the correction for example if i move 25.98 meters in a north direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is an equation for g vs. latitude at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_gravity

Scroll about 1/2-way down the page. Just after the section title "Mathematical models", you'll see the equation.

p.s. Welcome to PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?