1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity Probe B and 'frame dragging'

1. May 8, 2008 #1

Ian

Am I right in assuming that Gravity Probe B has proved that the rotation of the earth (@~465metres /sec.) 'swirls' space-time in the same sort of way that a rotating ball will swirl a fluid?

I ask because if this is the case, then the forward motion of the earth (@~360km/sec.) must also produce a linear dragging which is detectable, much like a speedboat leaves a wake in it's path.

Also, if the rotating mass of the earth causes frame dragging then common sense insists that matter must also 'displace' space time in a manner similar to Archimedes principle.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2
    Hi Ian,

as far as I lnow after over forty years in the making they are still analysing the data of gravity probe B and we are still waiting for the 2 sigma confidence level results. The frame dragging effect is microscopic and was unfortunately swamped by noise in the data that is something like a hundreds times larger than the signal they are looking for, which is why it is taking so long to analyse.

Not sure about the linear dragging effect.

A good thread monitoring the progress of Gravity Probe B results is here https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=104694&page=20

4. May 8, 2008 #3
    Maybe not. I think the Michelson Morley type tests would have detected it. More likely the forward motion of the earth is orbiting synchronously with a latent frame dragging caused during the origin of the solar system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?