Gravity Wave - Wavelength / Freq

• Thread starter lowing99
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi Folks

Does anyone know if Gravity waves have been measured accurately enough to have a wavelength and frequency at the quantum scale.

I'm looking for any data measured in Plancks.

Bit of a random one, it relates to some research I am doing at the moment.

Thanks

Best

Colin

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Not only have gravitational waves NOT been measured "accurately enough", it also has NOT been detected YET!

You need to go to LISA and LIGO webpages, for example, and gather your information. Shouldn't you need that to include in your "research"?

Zz.

Thanks for the quick answer Zapper,

I figured as much, they will be detected I'm sure.

I'm expecting a wavelength of 4 - 16 P. I'm just hoping for the confirmation. If it is discovered (hopefully soon) and it is within this range, I'm going to be a very excited bunny :)

Best

Colin

The decteced wavelength will strongly depend on the source emitting the gravitational wave. One of the most likely signals to be detected should origin from binary black hole inspiralling onto each other. The signal should have a characteristic "chirp" form towards the end with strongly increasing frequency (decr. wavelength). A likely range should be 295 to 2000Hz for 20 Solar mass black holes. That would correspond to wavelengths of roughly 1000km.
What unit is P supposed to be?
The frequency range on LIGO is 2 to ca. 4000 Hz, so the smallest detectable waves will have wavelengths of 500km.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I'm guessing that "P" might be what the OP called "Plancks". If this is the Planck length scale, boy is he/she seriously off track!

Zz.

Thanks Betel for the information.

Best

Colin

Welcome lowing. It would be nice if you in return answered my question about P.

Yes it was planck lengths, I'm way out it seems :)

I was simply wondering if anybody had theorised or suggested very small gravity waves with a wavelength at a scale smaller than primary particles, it was just a spin off idea from something else I was doing. The references Naty posted (thanks btw) looked interesting, so i'll check that out. I'm going to check out the LISA and LIGO webpages as suggested.

Best

Colin