Low GRE Analytical Writing Score - Is it a Problem?

In summary: Many people assume that a low essay score means a low quantitative score. However, this is not always the case. # A low essay score can be caused by many factors, such as poor grammar, incorrect use of vocabulary, and a lack of fluency. However, it is not necessarily indicative of lower quantitative ability.# If you feel like you do not deserve a low essay score, you can request a hand re-grade.
Phyisab****
I just got back my score on the writing section of the general GRE. Apparently I got a 3.5, which puts me in the 25th percentile. Now I don't mean to sound arrogant, but writing has always been a strength of mine. When I write papers, either for physics or humanities classes, they usually come back with "WOW!" across the top. I can't begin to imagine why I got such a low score on this.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Do grad schools really take the analytical writing score seriously? I did very well on the rest of the exam, have I screwed myself over?

P.S. I'm not taking the pGRE because I'm only applying to masters programs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah I also got a 3.5 on writing when I took it. I doubt physics programs care about it.

The quantitative score is the most important. You should shoot for >700 on it.

No one gives 2 shizz about the writing score. I know great writers who got your score and bad writers who got a 6. I think part of the score is actually based on how many "GRE words" you are able to work into your essays.

If you feel like you deserve more, ask for a hand re-grading. The first time they only use a computer, which can sometimes mess up.

That must be some computer that grades the analytical writing section...

Hmm what I'm reading now on the ets website says that a human reader is also always involved, though I heard a human reader only grades randomly to make sure the computer algorithm is still on track. So I dunno. Given that it only takes two weeks, I'd bet they mostly just use the computer. Not to mention the $$$

# The essay score is assigned by a trained reader, using a 6-point holistic scale. The essay response is then reviewed by e-rater®, a computerized program developed by ETS, which is being used to monitor the human reader.
# If the e-rater evaluation and the human score agree, the human score is used as the final score. If they disagree by a certain amount, a second human score is obtained, and the final score is the average of the two human scores.

1. What is considered a low GRE Analytical Writing score?

According to the Educational Testing Service (ETS), the organization that administers the GRE, the average Analytical Writing score for test takers is around 4.0. Scores range from 0.0 to 6.0, with increments of 0.5. Therefore, a score below 4.0 can be considered low.

2. Will a low Analytical Writing score affect my overall GRE score?

Yes, the Analytical Writing section is one of the three components that make up the overall GRE score, along with Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning. Each section is scored on a scale of 130-170, with increments of 1. A low score in Analytical Writing can bring down your overall score, depending on your performance in the other sections.

3. How important is the Analytical Writing section for graduate school admissions?

The importance of the Analytical Writing section varies among graduate schools and programs. Some schools place a significant emphasis on this section, especially for programs that require strong writing skills, such as English or Communications. Other schools may focus more on the Verbal and Quantitative sections. It is best to research the admissions requirements for the specific schools and programs you are interested in.

4. Can I retake the GRE if I am not satisfied with my Analytical Writing score?

Yes, you can retake the GRE as many times as you want. However, there are certain restrictions and policies in place. You must wait at least 21 days before retaking the test, and you cannot take the test more than five times in a 12-month period. Additionally, you will have to pay the full test fee each time you retake the GRE.

5. How can I improve my Analytical Writing score?

The best way to improve your Analytical Writing score is to practice. The more you practice, the more comfortable you will become with the format and timing of the section. You can also review sample prompts and essays to get a better understanding of what is expected in terms of structure and content. It can also be helpful to seek feedback from a writing tutor or take a prep course specifically for the Analytical Writing section.