GRE Conservation of Energy problem.

In summary, the law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. To apply this law to GRE problems, you must identify all the forms of energy involved and determine how they are being transferred or converted. The most common types of energy found in GRE problems are kinetic, potential, and thermal energy. The equation for conservation of mechanical energy is typically used when there are no external forces acting on the system. According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be lost in a closed system, only transferred or converted. To check your answer for a conservation of energy problem, you can use the equation to calculate the total energy at the beginning and end of the scenario.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

http://grephysics.net/ans/9277/87

Can somebody explain to me why the electric potential = -K/2r^2?
If you integrate Fdr and F = K/r^3, where does the 2 in the denominator come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

http://grephysics.net/ans/9277/87

Can somebody explain to me why the electric potential = -K/2r^2?
If you integrate Fdr and F = K/r^3, where does the 2 in the denominator come from?
Standard rules. What's the integral of xn.dx? Now put n = -3.

1. How can I apply the law of conservation of energy to GRE problems?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. To apply this law to GRE problems, you must identify all the forms of energy involved in the problem and determine how they are being transferred or converted throughout the scenario.

2. What are the common types of energy found in GRE conservation of energy problems?

The most common types of energy found in GRE problems are kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (energy stored in an object), and thermal energy (energy associated with temperature). Other forms of energy, such as gravitational potential energy and elastic potential energy, may also be present in certain scenarios.

3. How do I know when to use the equation for conservation of mechanical energy?

The equation for conservation of mechanical energy, which states that the sum of an object's kinetic and potential energies remains constant, is typically used when there is no external work or non-conservative forces acting on the system. This means that the total mechanical energy of the system is conserved.

4. Can energy be lost in a conservation of energy problem?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be lost in a closed system. It can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. Therefore, when solving GRE problems involving conservation of energy, the total energy at the beginning of the scenario should be equal to the total energy at the end of the scenario.

5. How can I check if my answer for a conservation of energy problem is correct?

To check your answer for a conservation of energy problem, you can use the equation for conservation of energy to calculate the total energy at the beginning and end of the scenario. If the values are the same, then your answer is likely correct. It is also helpful to check that your answer has the correct units and makes sense in the context of the problem.