1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying GRE for mathematics and for physics

1. Jul 28, 2017 #1
    How much is it difficult for a person to write Gre subject tests mathematics and physics without mathematics and physics background? How long should they prepare?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Almost impossible, and however long it takes to get a degree.

4. Jul 29, 2017 #3
    I have studied calculus 1&2, and have studied physics in senior school. if I start preparing for both subjects from now for the test of next year October, can I get a decent score?

5. Jul 29, 2017 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Are you going to keep asking this question until you get an answer you like?

6. Jul 29, 2017 #5

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

quantknight,

I thought you were going to apply for computational science masters programs,
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...e-for-a-computational-science-masters.919238/

Have you looked into the admissions requirements for such programs? Do they really require subject tests in physics and mathematics? I would be surprised if such programs required even one of those tests, let alone both. In any case, listen to Vanadium 50. He knows what he is talking about. You should apply only to those programs that do not require the math and/or physics subject tests. Given your undergrad is in computer science, I suspect testing requirements will not limit your options at all.

jason

7. Jul 30, 2017 #6
    Yeah, I mailed those universities, they informed me that the mathematics is too high on computational sciences, so I thought if I do an examination on mathematics or physics subject, it would be helpful to get an admission into computational physics. And most of the universities don't guide me about any additional mathematical courses required. It would be helpful if someone suggest me any mathematics or computer science courses which would help me to get admission into computational science program.

8. Jul 30, 2017 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Probably not. Think about it. These tests are intended to give some measure of how much math and physics you know for admission into graduate school. You've barely taken any math and physics and are asking if you can learn in a few months what others spend four years learning. If it were that easy, why bother with undergraduate education at all?

Rather than guessing, though, you could just buy previous versions of the tests from ETS and see how well you do on them.

9. Jul 31, 2017 #8
    If you were a senior physics major preparing to take the physics GRE, I would tell them that now is the time to begin studying for it if they have not already. Here, look at this: https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/practice_book_physics.pdf

That is a previous physics GRE. If you take it and get over a 800, come back to this thread and we will give you advice on how to proceed further.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted