1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GRE Math Subject Practice Test #43

Tags:
  1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    First of all, I hope I'm posting this in the appropriate forum and let me know if I'm not.

I did pretty okay on this practice test, but I never took complex analysis, though I've tried to teach myself the rudiments. Maybe that's not even the problem, but this seems kind of basic, something I shouldn't be missing. So I'm looking for help with how to solve this problem, and also suggestions for preparing for the exam so that I don't miss this category of problem come test day. Here it is:

If z = e^(2*pi *i / 5), then 1 + z + z^2 + z^3 +5*z^4 + 4*z^6 + 4*z^7 +4*z^8 +5*z^9 =

a)0

b) 4*e^(3*pi*i / 5)

c) 5*e^(4*pi*i / 5)

d) -4*e^(2*pi*i / 5)

e) -5*e^(3*pi*i / 5)

Thank you everyone!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2008 #2
    [tex] e^{xi}=cosx+isinx[/tex] NOw u have:

[tex] z= e^{{2\pi}\frac{i}{5}}=cos\frac{2\pi}{5} +isin\frac{2\pi}{5}[/tex]

[tex] z^2=e^{2*{2\pi}\frac{i}{5}}=cos\frac{4\pi}{5}+isin\frac{4\pi}{5}[/tex]

Now u can play a lill bit with trig functions of a double angle, so some things will cancel out. Also

[tex] 1=e^{{2\pi}i}=cos2\pi+isin{2\pi}[/tex]

i think that doing this for the whole powers of z and looking for a pattern of how things will cancle out, you should be able to get to the result.

4. Sep 15, 2008 #3
    There might be shortcuts though, but none of which i can think at the moment!

5. Sep 15, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think that's the hard way to do it. It is much simpler to do the multiplications in exponential form than "cos + i sin".

If [tex]z= e^{2\pi i/5}[/itex] then
    [tex]z^2= e^{4\pi i/5}[/tex]
    [tex]z^3= e^{6 pi i/5}= e^{pi i}e^{\pi i/5}= -e^{\pi i/5}[/tex]
    [tex]z^4= e^{8\pi i/5}= -e^{3\pi/5}[/tex]
    [tex]z^5= e^{10\pi i/5}= e^{2\pi i}= 1[/tex]
    [tex]z^6= e^{12\pi i/5}= e^{2\pi i}e^{2\pi i/5}= e^{2\pi i/5}[/tex]
    [tex]z^7= e^{14\pi i/5}= e^{2\pi i}e^{4\pi i/5}[/tex]
    [tex]z^8= e^{16\pi i/5}= e^{3\pi i}e^{\pi i/5}= -e^{\pi i/5}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]z^9= e^{18\pi i/5}= e^{3\pi i}e^{3\pi i/5}= -e^{3\pi i/5}[/tex]

You should be able to put those into your formula and come up with an answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?