GRE Tips and good books for this year

In summary, for those preparing for the general GRE, it is recommended to purchase the book published by ETS, the official test makers. This book is thorough and comes with a CD to help with computer-based test taking. Additionally, there are helpful math tutorials available on YouTube for free. However, some may find the book to be too formal.
glueball8
Any good GRE tips? As in general GRE and not pgre. I'm planning on spending sometime preparing for it since my writing sucks. I want to buy one or two books on general GRE, can someone do a review of the popular gre books? I see mixed review for every book.

Physics news on Phys.org
glueball8 said:
Any good GRE tips? As in general GRE and not pgre. I'm planning on spending sometime preparing for it since my writing sucks. I want to buy one or two books on general GRE, can someone do a review of the popular gre books? I see mixed review for every book.

I'm using the one printed by the actual test makers ETS. You can find it at any Barnes and Noble:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/007179123X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It's pretty thorough, although perhaps a bit formal. It should definitely be ONE of the books you go through entirely. They also give you a CD that let's you get comfortable with taking the test on the computer, which is nice.

Another reason I got it is that there's a guy on youtube that goes over every math problem in the book. So if you're looking for math tips, at least, this guys great. The lessons do drag out a bit on time, but hell, its free.

http://www.youtube.com/user/prepsat/videos?flow=grid&view=1

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some good books for studying for the GRE this year?

Some highly recommended books for studying for the GRE this year include "The Official Guide to the GRE General Test" by ETS, "Cracking the GRE" by The Princeton Review, and "GRE Prep Plus 2021" by Kaplan.

2. Are there any tips for improving my score on the GRE?

Yes, some tips for improving your score on the GRE include practicing with sample questions and tests, familiarizing yourself with the test format and question types, and setting a study schedule and sticking to it.

3. How can I prepare for the GRE if I have limited time?

If you have limited time to prepare for the GRE, it is important to prioritize your studying. Focus on the areas where you need the most improvement, and utilize resources such as study guides and online practice tests to maximize your study time.

4. Are there any specific strategies for the GRE that I should know?

Yes, some strategies for the GRE include reading the questions carefully and eliminating obviously incorrect answer choices, using process of elimination when unsure of an answer, and pacing yourself to ensure you have enough time to complete all sections.

5. Is it necessary to take a GRE prep course?

Taking a GRE prep course can be beneficial, but it is not necessary. There are many self-study resources available, such as books and online practice tests, that can help you prepare for the exam. It is important to evaluate your own study habits and needs before deciding if a prep course is right for you.