1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Great Fun: Complex Proof using de Moivre's Theorem

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that
    [tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} {\cos}^{2n}\theta d\theta = \frac{(2n)!\pi}{{2}^{2n}{(n!)}^{2}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

cos n*theta = (z^n + z^-n)/2

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, this one has kept me busy for a while. I started using de Moivre's theorem to express cos^2n(theta) in terms of multiple angles but got stuck on the integral.
    After a while I tried to prove it inductively; showing it true for n=1 but then failed to show it for n=k+1.
    If someone could suggest a novel way to start this problem I would be very grateful.

Benjy

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

1) First notice that the cosine is an even function, so if you integrate over -pi to +pi, the answer is double what you want.

2) cos theta = (z + z^-1)/2, z=e^(i theta)

3) What is the integral from -pi to +pi of z^n where n is an integer (possibly negative or zero)?

4. Nov 6, 2007 #3
    Thanks for your reply Avodyne.

To solve it, I expressed cos^2n(theta) as (z + z^-1)^2n. This expanded to yield:
    (cos(2n) + 2nC1*cos(2n-2) + ... + (2n)!/(n1)^2) / 2^2n

When integrated, all the cos's become sin's. The sine of zero or any integer multiple of 2pi will cancell, therefore the only term remaining will be (2n)!/(n1)^2) / 2^2n.

Retrospectively it seems rather easy, although it did keep me busy for a while.

5. Nov 6, 2007 #4

Avodyne

Science Advisor

You could also notice that [itex]\int_{-\pi}^{+\pi} e^{in\theta} d\theta[/itex] is zero unless n=0, in which case it is 2pi. This skips the step of assembling the z's into cosines.

Problems are always easier in retrospect ...

6. Nov 6, 2007 #5
    Yes they do :)
    Thanks again for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?