Great one-liners from PF members

• Thread starter sysprog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary: And to obtain just one arsenic atom, you would need to buy 285 million one ounce bottles!There's also the fact that anyone prescribing homeopathic medicine should be required to accept homeopathic payment which of course is an empty envelope that... doesn't really exist.
phinds said:
War can be a poker game where both sides are cheating with folks posting about the hand a player is holding to the other players.
But the posts can also be lies. What fun, eh?

Physics news on Phys.org
gmax137 said:
I worked with a guy for over thirty years before he told me he was an accordion player. "I just don't talk about it," he said.
I don't get this quote. What's funny about it?

sevensages said:
It's an american thing. It is an instrument reviled by many. According to lore, musicians who go to hell are condemned to playing the accordian.

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, DennisN and pinball1970
accordion.jpg

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, BillTre and pinball1970
phinds said:
It's an american thing. It is an instrument reviled by many. According to lore, musicians who go to hell are condemned to playing the accordian.
I would have guessed bag pipes myself

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, Tom.G and BillTre
While discussing speculation in a thread...

hutchphd said:
.......I may become airborn from the hand waving, but just give me a number and I can get there.

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto, pinball1970, Astronuc and 3 others
“ I learned about 10% of the science I now know in school. The rest I've learned on my own.”

@Drakkith

It really is a powerful statement about how school doesn’t teach you everything you need to know but rather give you a foundation from which you can begin to start learning everything you need to know.

Likes topsquark, pinball1970, berkeman and 1 other person
Words to live by... :wink:

Dullard said:
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe...

• Haha
  • Love
Likes russ_watters, dextercioby, Wrichik Basu and 5 others
I first heard that from a co-worker, retired Navy Chief.

He also said, "cut to suit, beat to fit, paint to hide" lol.

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, Astronuc, jack action and 3 others
DaveE said:
It must work on a Mac, since everyone uses it.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Greg Bernhardt said:
The world could end tomorrow. Let's go when you're ready
Pessimist!

• Haha
Likes Greg Bernhardt and berkeman
While giving good academic advice about studying...

hutchphd said:
Playing a Stradivarius badly does not make you a violinist

Likes russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
Getting the wrong answer more quickly is seldom helpful.

Likes russ_watters
phinds said:
It's an american thing. It is an instrument reviled by many.
Also the Viola. So many viola player jokes.

sophiecentaur said:
So many viola player jokes.
What's the differemce between a violin and a viola?
--- Violas burn longer.

What is the best recording of the Walton Viola Concerto?
--- Music Minus One.

Shall I go on?

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, sophiecentaur and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
viola?
I didn't know about viola jokes.

EDIT: So, yes, please go on !

Last edited:
gmax137 said:
So, yes, please go on !
How can you tell if a viola is playing out of tune?
--- The bow is moving.

How is a viola recital like a lawsuit?
--- Everybody is happy when the case is closed.

Had enough?

• Haha
Likes sophiecentaur, DrClaude, gmax137 and 2 others
Mark Steel on BBC Radio Four last night : "I could see myself taking a job in a mirror factory."

Even po-faced Paul Merton had to laugh at that one. The English Language is a rich source.

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, BillTre, Ibix and 3 others
jbriggs444 said:
Do not try to learn mechanics from a mixed martial arts presentation.

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, Astronuc, BillTre and 4 others
From the thread on magnetic flux
hutchphd said:
This was when real men used sabres and physicists used pencils and french curves.

Likes russ_watters
Word...

Mark44 said:
An instructor I had a long ago said this: "The sooner you sit down to the keyboard, the longer it takes to write your program."

• Haha
Likes BvU, pinball1970, hmmm27 and 5 others
gmax137:
I dunno. Sounds like something the lawyers could argue about until we see a proton decay.

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto and BillTre
A response in a B-level thread asking what the Universe has been expanding into since the Big Bang... :smile:

PeroK said:
The universe is not a fire cracker. It's a four dimensional spacetime geometry.

Likes russ_watters, Wrichik Basu and phinds
gmax137 said:
I worked with a guy for over thirty years before he told me he was an accordion player. "I just don't talk about it," he said.

sevensages said:

phinds said:
I have not a big problem with accordions, but I only accept them in small doses :smile:.

Others:

Accordion.jpg

• Haha
Likes phinds
phinds said:
The Far Side : r/Accordion

• Haha
Likes Astronuc and gmax137
I guess you had to be there... :smile:

Ibix said:
"I can't yell duck, it's a goose".

Likes BillTre
Guess you had to be there...

DaveC426913 said:
That'll getcha killed... or worse, damage your boat.

all hell will break lose. But maybe it’s already breaking lose?

If someone can break bad I don't see why they can't break lose.

Hornbein said:
If someone can break bad I don't see why they can't break lose.
I never really got the title. Did he have a "breakdown" in the mental health sense? No! He was absolutely coherent, organised and focused. He was also very smart and professional, at every turn.

pinball1970 said:
I never really got the title. Did he have a "breakdown" in the mental health sense? No! He was absolutely coherent, organised and focused. He was also very smart and professional, at every turn.
I always took it in the sense of an analogy with the break in a game of pool. You hit the ball, you break the balls and the outcome is good or bad. You got a "good break" or a "bad break".

The show puts on display a sequence of bad breaks. They do not all look terrible. But you know that it is all a downhill slide to disaster. Like a quote from another movie: "The only way to win is not to play".

• Informative
Likes phinds, berkeman and pinball1970
jbriggs444 said:
I always took it in the sense of an analogy with the break in a game of pool. You hit the ball, you break the balls and the outcome is good or bad. You got a "good break" or a "bad break".

The show puts on display a sequence of bad breaks. They do not all look terrible. But you know that it is all a downhill slide to disaster. Like a quote from another movie: "The only way to win is not to play".
Every break Walter made may have looked like a step back, in fact he was moving forward.
I loved his fatherly attitude to JP.
I know it went west but if you had an errant child, I would want to be that guy.

pinball1970 said:
I never really got the title.
Nor me, although I never let it worry me. It turns out the answer was out there all along:
https://breakingbad.fandom.com/wiki/Breaking_Bad_(TV_series) said:
The show's title is a Southern colloquialism meaning, among other things, "raising hell", and was chosen by Gilligan to describe Walter's transformation. According to Time entertainment editor Lily Rothman, the term has a broader meaning and is an old phrase which "connotes more violence than 'raising hell' does ... [T]he words possess a wide variety of nuances: to 'break bad' can mean to 'go wild', to 'defy authority', and break the law, to be verbally 'combative, belligerent, or threatening' or, followed by the preposition 'on', 'to dominate or humiliate'."
... if only there were some way of searching for information on the internet :wink:

• Haha
Likes jack action and phinds
FYI, Marius Stan (Bogdan) has a PhD in nuclear chemistry and does nuclear engineering as his "day job".

pbuk said:
Nor me, although I never let it worry me. It turns out the answer was out there all along:

... if only there were some way of searching for information on the internet :wink:
I was referring to the phrase as it is. It does not ring a bell with a UK audience.

pinball1970 said:
I was referring to the phrase as it is. It does not ring a bell with a UK audience.
Nor Canadian, though context makes it clear.